home
~ Carrum ~
home
"Clarence Villa" now called Carrum
Scroll down to find out more about this Will.
Click on image or Charmouth Home to return back.
 
 
 
 

Hannah Newberry rented the 2 acres field from the Church as it was originally Glebe Land and appears to have purchased it by 1780 and then passed to her Grandson on her death in 1790. He was a butcher and it seems to have passed to John Hodges a butcher by 1841 when he is shown as renting it from the church. He must have owned it when he had 3 houses built on it. The first owner of Sandford Cottage is George Hodges and his sister Ellenore, who was the 2nd daughter of John, the butcher.HE lived in a hbouse rented from church on tithe number 217 and rented the fields around it. John; HODGES; 30; Butcher;Jane; HODGE; 25,Wm; HODGE; 4,Chas.; HODGE; 2,Eliza; HODDER; 18; Female servant. He also owned a house(t.no.1)that would become the Royal Oak and had been a butchers run by the Loves.School was supposed to be built on hodges buildings. on 1837 jury List as butcher, william edwards dies in 1829 and Inn bought by Gundrys.

1825 William Edwards - House, stable, garden, etc, Church Hay Mead, Mail Ciach Inn - Foss

1841 beech house is shown as empty. john Cronie as owner

lloks like house was Royal Oak. 1840 directory shows John as Butcher and Joseph as a shopkeeper

1861 Census

55; Charmouth Street; John HODGES ; Head; M; 50; Butcher & Grocer; Devon; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Jane HODGES ; Wife; M; 47; Butchers wife; Lyme Regis; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; George HODGES ; Son; ; 17; Carpenters Ap; Charmouth; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Richard HODGES ; Son; ; 15; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Mary HODGES ; Daur; ; 13; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Eliza HODGES ; Daur; ; 11; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Ellen HODGES ; Daur; ; 8; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F8P9

55; Charmouth Street; Alfred HODGES ; Son; ; 4; Scholar; Charmouth; ; F8P9

 

HODGES, John Charmouth Street Head Married M 40 1811 Butcher Sidbury 45
HODGES, Jane Charmouth Street Wife F 37 1814 Butcher Wife Lyme 45
HODGES, Mary A Charmouth Street Sister Unmarried F 30 1821 Visitor Charmouth 45
HODGES, William Charmouth Street Son M 14 1837 Butcher Son Charmouth 45
HODGES, Charles Charmouth Street Son M 11 1840 Draper Apprentice Charmouth 45
HODGES, John Charmouth Street Son M 9 1842 Scholar Charmouth 45
HODGES, George Charmouth Street Son M 7 1844 Scholar Charmouth 45
HODGES, Eliza Charmouth Street Daughter F 0 1851 Charmouth

 

1841 Census
1851 Census
1861
 
"Sandford Cottage" stood on the corner of Sea Lane. The first owners that I have notes of are George Hodges and his sister Ellennore 2nd daughter of John, the butcher. At the beginning of this century it was occupied by Miss Baxter and her niece Margie, who told me that she was descended from the old Saxon Kings in England and from Malcolm III in Scotland and the French King Pcpin le Bref. On the unofficial side, her grandfather Pierre de Ilaceritz, private secretary the Tzarina of Alexander II, was the son of a Russian Duke and a German Princess. The Tzar was extremely angry with the princess into a convent and took the baby himself to be brought up almost like royalty. Maceritz's son married a Scotswoman and Margie was born in the Winter Palace, but her mother could not endure life at the court and with the Tzar's permission withdrew with her children to Switzerland. Her mother died in Italy and her father was drowned when the "Mohigan" was wrecked in 1898 off Jersey. When Miss Baxter left,"Sandford Cottage" was owned by Mrs.Birkett whose daughter married Colonel Campbell Little. When the Colonel retired they lived in the house for many years, and Captain Brock Birkett R.N. lived with them. Mrs Little exhausted her strength during the 1939-45 war by her work for the British Legion and W.V.S, and died suddenly in 1949, Col. Little died shortly afterwards in 1958 and the house was purchased by the Dorset County Council and pulled down to improve the entrance, to Lower Sea Lane.
"Beech House" The interior shows that formerly the two houses were one as on the ground floor part of the building seems to have belonged to the butcher's and the butcher's attic extends over Beech House. In 1892 Richard Hodges sold it to Richard Shelton who died in 1921 and it was purchased by Mrs. Haggard with right to use the garden door. In 1922 Godfrey D.N. Haggard, her son, became owner. He was father of Stephen who became famous as an actor but unfortunately died young.

"Clarence Villa" now called "Carrum". In a memorandum by Samuel Dunn in 1844 he undertook to build a house for Miss Henning, which he let to her for twenty five pounds a year complete with garden and a pump of water. Miss Eliza Henning died in 1854 and Sophia Henning, who was blind, died in January 1886. During the 1920` s Charles Hodges lived here, who left £1,000 to purchase the Playing Field, he died in 1932 aged 92. It was then occupied by Peter Marshall who introduced electric light in the village. His engine and dynamo were in the corner of the playing field and proved a great success until power from the grid took over. The house today was then occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Bide and family.
Tho other two adjacent houses are similar and were probably built about the same time. As Dunn had to supply a water pump for Miss Henning it seems that there were no former houses on the site, which was possibly Glebe belonging to the Church. If so, it supports the theory that Beech House was the former parsonage,which would have been built on Church land.

1851 Census shows Eliza Henning Fund Holder aged 64 from Weymouth and house servant Elizabeth Dimont aged 30 from Uppottery

one house uninhabited

Louisa Griffith from Gitsham, aged 55 Landed Proprietrs unmarried with Mary Lane Servant aged 53 from Warwickshite.

william Greenslade 41 Clergyman without.. with family.

Than John Hodges - Beech House?

beech house could have been refronted as typical curved Pryer curved doorway. Was this done when Winton House added to side by hodges.described as a brick bult moierty in 1810

Apparently, one John Hodges added the shop and the family lived over it and in a room over out­buildings in the yard, with access being gained via external stone steps. It is probable that this latter structure still exists. From Pavey's account it would appear that butchers operated from these premises for well over a hundred years.
The Frampton family were traditionally butchers. The brothers' grandfather was a butcher at Beaminster and a photograph from c.1909 appears in Gosling's ‘Beaminster', from the Towns and Villages of England series, in which their grandfather, Giles, can be seen standing outside the shop in the square with his two elder sons, Ernest and Charles and other staff. The brothers' father - also named Giles and also a butcher - was the third son of Giles of Beaminster. He had a successful business in Exeter until he died from pneumonia at the young age of 34. He had three sons Edgar Giles, Reuben Ernest and Ronald Charles. These sons took their second given names from their father and their Beaminster uncles. After the death of Giles, his widow and the three boys returned to her family home at Axminster.
All three sons eventually became butchers and Reub learned his trade at Stewarts in Axminster in the days when use of a poleaxe was an important skill. Reuben then went to work for Harris in Lyme Regis and it was during this period that Ron was working for Marsh at Charmouth. It was at this time that Ron learned of the Marshes intention to sell and he and Reub together bought the business in 1938. Although qualified butchers, the brothers had little experience of buying and Reub confessed that his approach in the early days was to follow his old boss from Lyme and make one further bid af­ter Harris dropped out, much to the latter's irritation, but as Reub said, he'd got to learn.
Whilst at Lyme, Reuben had married Aileen Rough whose parents had lived in Charmouth from around the end of the 19 th century, firstly at ‘Bow House', then at ‘Wood Farm' and finally at ‘Hogchester'. Aileen's father, Thomas John Frazer Kemp Rough, was a colourful character. When single and working as a gardener, he lived with his parents at ‘Rose Cottage', which was next to the ‘Royal Oak' but is now a part of it and has been for many years. Later on, he worked as a dairyman/tenant farmer and moved from farm to farm over the years.
Tom married Zelia Nina, the fourth daughter of Lambert Rendell and his wife Charlotte. In his early adult years, it seems that Lambert had moved to Guernsey and it was there that he met and married Charlotte and his children were bom. He later returned to England bringing wife, children and cattle! The family moved from Devon to Dorset where they also lived for a time at ‘Wood Farm'.

1871 farmer og 80 acres, was son rnning butchers at side. not on 1841 map. buyilt by pryers. 1854 Pryers built heritage centre. postman photo of back of beeces? Did Dunn own and rent them out. But he went bankrupt?