logo
Charmouth - A 100 years ago.
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
This view from Cains Folly, 100 years ago shows the mass of buildings on either side of the street stretching up to the Axminster Road. The area between them and the sea is still relatively rural, with remnants of the medieval strip field system still visible in places.
1
We have added some headings to the last picture to identify some of the fields and buildings so as to get your bearings as to what can be seen. A number of the names of fields are still used today – for example: Double Common,Single Common, Hammonds Mead and Five Acres
The same view today which clearly shows how the area has been covered with houses and caravans over the last 100 years.
We will quickly show by the use of maps how the village once looked. The earliest of these is the 1841 Tithe Map. It is astonishing to see that the boundary wall dating back to the 14th century can clearly be seen to the north of the Street and sections of the ditch on the buildings to the south.
The famous Railway engineer, Sir John Hawkshaw over a few years built up a large land holding both here and in Lyme Regis with the intention of building a railway connecting the 2 towns with Bridport and Axminster. But it was turned down by parliament and in 1867 he placed his property on the market and this map shows what was on offer. Lily Farm failed to get its reserve and ownership stayed in the family until 1914.  
This is the first large scale Ordnance Survey Map of 1890. The area around The Street is little altered over the 50 years interval of the tithe map.
In 1898 the Lord of the Manor was Charles Coulton,who was a solicitor living in Kings Lynn. In that year he offered 55 plots in Higher Sea Lane up for auction. But oy a few were sold. he tried again in 1904 with no offers at all. It was then sold off piecemeal and slowly the area was built on over the next century
It is interesting to compare the same area today with the mass of streets and houses on what were fields. Though by some miracle the line of the ancient stone wall to the rear of the street can still be followed.
We thought that it may be useful to show the 3 main sources of information about the Village 100 years ago. The nearest Census to it was that for 1911. The next few pages show the summary. There are more detailed records of individual households which are descriptive of the houses themselves. It shows that there were 167 dwellings, of which 27 were unoccupied, no doubt second homes as exists today. The total population was 575, with 338 females and 237 males, which seems strange considering that this was prior to the first world war.  
Pages 2-3
Pages 4-5
Pages 6-7
Pages 8-9
We are fortunate that there is a Kelly's Directory for the same year which provides a snapshot of Charmouth. There was a daily Omnibus to both Axminster and Bridport each day from the Coach and Horses. It strikes one as a thriving  Village with a large number of shops and tradesmen to cater for the wealthy residents who at that time lived in the large houses situated along the Street. There are also a number of apartments which were popular with visitors in the summer months. The shops we see today were mainly built after 1931 and the top  end of the town would be where residents at that time would do most of their shopping.  
14
This is the list of Private Residents and Traders shown in Kelly's Directory.
Finally there is the Electoral Roll for 1911 that provides useful information as to who owned the properties, as a number lived outside the area.
Page 3
Now to the photographs that have survived to reveal to us how Charmouth would have looked over 100 years ago. We have sieved through over 2000 images from a number of collections to bring to you what we feel are the most representative. For those of you who live here, we should be able to provide a view of your street back then, even if it was farmland. We jump around at times as we will cover areas away from the main Street where possible.
The route into Charmouth lead through the Devils Bellows. It was cut in 1826 as a link to Lyme Regis, as the old Roman and later coaching road was steep and hazardous. But even in 1912 the papers referred to the terrible state of it. Finally on 26th May 1924,it was closed to all traffic, after a landslip.
This is probably the earliest view of the village taken from just above Stonebarrow Farm. It is interesting as it shows a number of the large thatched buildings which were to be lost in fires towards the end of the 19th century. There is a line of Elm trees along Lower Sea Lane leading to the School and the adjoining Almshouses.  
A close up of the same view about 1912 with Devon Edge towering over the street. On Higher Sea Lane, Soldiers cottage had been built opposite Sea House, by then known as Gresham House.  
Gresham House from the other side with just the Soldiers House (Lavender Cottage)and the Sanctuary to be seen in Higher Sea Lane. The house in the distance is Sea View at the bottom of Lower Sea Lane. 
Half of a panorama of the village showing a Victorian group about to have a picnic on Stonebarrow. There are few buildings to be seen in the fields that lead to the sea.  
The other part of the picture revealing more of the village in the distance.
23
 
This view is a little later, looking on to Higher Sea Lane with some of the houses and bungalows that were built after the 1904 auction. It can clearly be seen that the fields around were farmed.
The next 2 photographs were taken in the fields of Charmouth by James Harrison who lived at Little Hurst on the Street.
This is a fascinating study of some of the farmworkers.
A footpath leads past the gate of the Red Bungalow on the right, which was built in 1909. Scouting tents can be seen in the field to the left of the Old Cement Works
The rough pathway shown a little further up Higher Sea Lane, near where the entrance to Double Common is today. Sanctuary Cottage can be seen in the distance.
Another view of Higher Sea Lane looking up to Gresham House on the right. On the left can be seen the bungalow that is Cove Cottage today. In the middle is he Sanctuary. In the foreground are some of the Customs officers who used the Look Out. Just behind the chap leaning on the fence is the Battery where the Ammunition for a 6 pounder gun was stored. Each day they would fire a shell at a target 400 yards out at sea, and when the sea was out would retrieve it.
The same view today with Thalatta on the left which was built in 1923.
A photo of the Customs Officers who were quite numerous with two groups of cottages in Lower Sea Lane and at the bottom of the Street. It is a wonder what they found to do, with smuggling virtually gone by then.
The Old Cement works looks in a perilous state with great holes in the roof. The old chimney still surviving at that time. A number of Lerrets or herring boats which operated from the beach. In the distance is Bugler`s Traction Engine with a large truck alongside it for the collection of shingle or stones to be crushed for lime.
George Bugler lived at Grange House at the bottom of the Street and is here shown with his workmen and friends with his traction engine at work in he neighbouring fields of Charmouth.
The engine would have been a familiar sight with a man in front carryimg a red flag.
33
 
A view looking up to the comparitively gentle slope of the cliff with its covering of vegetation and absence of marine erosion.The Customs Officers Lookout, at that time was further inland to where it stands today
The tall 3 storey building in the centre of the view is that of Gresham House with the roof tops of some of the newly built houses along side it. The Bathing machines can clearly be seen amongst the fishing boats.

A close up of the cement works with some overdressed ladies enjoying the delights of a beach holiday back then.  

A happy family of holidaymakers suitably dressed to catch the sun. In the background is the shed where the customs officers kept their 6 pounder Gun.  
Another look at Charmouth West beach showing how overdressed holiday makers are at the time. Notice the lady with the parasol and the two nurse maids who have turned their back to the camera.
A superb study of one of the old bathing machines which were supers superceeded by Bathing Tents.
In the winter the bathing machines were kept in the old cement works. Here they can be seen with the horses that were used to pull them out into the sea.  
Some visitors inspecting the local fisherman's catch of Mackeral.
Tom Hunter later on in life with the cement works in the background.   For many years he was a familiar figure on the beach.
Tom, the son of Robert Hunter, was a fisherman who owned a number of boats,which he let out to vistors.When his brother Wilfred gave up the Bathing Machines , Tom became owner.It was the custom for women to use the bathing machines. and the men went to another part of the beach. As the number of visitors increased, bathing tents replaced them.
At the beginning of the 20th century almost all postcards would include a scattering of tents in views of Charmouth. Here is one of the better examples in the fields at the bottom of Higher Sea Lane. The local historian, Reg Pavey had been Head of Clifton Preparotory School in Bristol and was instrumental in bringing the scouting camps to the village. 
A superb study of an encampment where the car park is today. In the distance is Sanctuary cottage and other houses in Higher Sea Lane.  
A large group watching the investiture of the Charmouth Patrols by the County Commisioner. In the background is the Red Bungalow in Higher Sea Lane,which had been built in 1908.
The Charmouth and Wootton Scouts troop on the beach at Charmouth.
Some scouts enjoying the delights of walking on the pebbles of Charmouth Beach with the backcloth of the shell of the old Cement Works
An early hand coloured postcard showing cattle in the idles right up to the beach. The shed by the lookout was used to house the large 6 pounder Gun used by the Customs men. In the distance is the Battery used to store ammunition for the Charmouth Volunteers who had their own Guns nearby
The same view, but with the Jubilee Shelter replacing the Battery. The tents on the beach superseded the Bathing Machines run by the Hunter family.
This dramatic photo is of a view which has disappeared forever. It shows the ramshackle wooden bridge that took people across the bend in the river by the cement works to the Spit on which can be seen the 1897 Jubillee Shelter.
A close up of the old wooden bridge. In the distance is "Sea View"in Lower Sea Lane.  
Lower Sea Lane was often damaged by the river when it flooded. To prevent this the cliff east of the Jubillee Shelter was cut through in 1904 to straighten it. It was known long after as "Hodders Gap" after the local contractor.
The river as we see it today, but with an earlier bridge connecting the two sides, which was washed away in 1929.  
A rare view looking down Lower Sea Lane with "Sea View" cottage in the distance.Robert Hunter lived there and it was the bithplace of Tom Hunter. The chap in the foreground was Frank Clarke who lived at the Retreat. The tall Elm trees were sadly cut down in 1931.
The same view today, with not quite the same charm as the earlier photo.  
The photograph was taken by James Harrison from the Rectory. In the foreground is the Rectory garden and the field belongiing to the Elms, beyond that is Single Common. The Thatched cottages where "Greengates" and "Way Along" stand were built on "Stocking and Charity Land", they were subsequently burnt down and the land sold off in 1921.
This group of cottages were let to the Customs Officers at that time. But had formerly been the New Inn run by John Paine. The outbuilding was his Skittle Alley and was later used to store ammunition.  
This photo shows a group seated on the gate of the field in which the Community Hall was later built. Opposite was another field where the village Fete and Flower Show were held.
Here is a view over 100 years ago which few will identify. Any one recognise it?

It is the meadows belonging to the Elms. In the distance is the School and Almshouses on Lower Sea Lane.The Rectory garden can be seen on the left and to the south of the field is Single Common.
Well here it is today as near as possible. The photo was taken from the large gardensright. On the distance  of the Elms which stretched into Lower Sae Lane and on which the Car Park and St Andrews Drive is now built.  
Another view of the field with the Elms that ran along the Lane.  
This scene certainly has changed from the rural idyll shown here with the School on the right which was built in 1869.In the distance is the workshop for Pusey Pryer with a stone cross on its apex. The tall elms were a distinctive feature of Lower Sea Lane until after 1931 when he died and the fields that he owned were auctioned off and developed.
The view as we see it today.
A group of children outside the old school. amongst the pupils were Cecil and Billy Gear who was to go on build the late Garage that stood in the centre of the village.  
Another group of children in front of the school
Youngsters, no doubt dressed up as local tradesmen or farm workers.  
A busy scene from the 1908 FlowerShow and Fete that was held annually in the field in Lower Sea Lane on the south side of he Almshouses (Hall View). In the distance can be seen the outline of "Devon Edge" then known as "Sunnyside" on the Street.
A wonderful photograph of the Charmouth May Queen, Nellie Jones, in 1897 surrounded by her attendants.
Another busy scene of the 1908 Flower Show and Fete with the Charmouth Volunteer Band.
A close up of the band in their smart uniforms.
One of the photographs taken by Samuel Hansford recording the progress through Charmouth of the large Union Jack to commemorate the coronation of King George V in 1911.
One area of the village that has changed very little are the Tennis Courts which were started about 1880 by General Eliot and George Pavey, father of Reginald, and are still going strong today. The Whittington sisters -Beryl, Winnie, Dorothy and Joan virtually controlled the club for many years as well as run a small prep school in Little Lodge adjoining the Limes, where they lived.
A wonderful candid shot of an Edwardian gentleman in full flight during the Charmouth Lawn tennis Tournament in august 1908.  
As we see it today with a few more houses in Lower Sea Lane.  
A view of the Courts looking over to Stonebarrow
A wonderful candid shot of an Edwardian gentleman in full flight during the Charmouth Lawn tennis Tournament in august 1908.  
We have a jump now to the top end of the village and the following photos will follow a route along the Street down to the Bridge.  
This photograph shows the junction of Old Lyme Hill and Old Lyme Road in an area known as the Wedge. The large square house in the centre is the Mount which was built by Mr Niblett in 1897. The fields on both sides of the road belonged to Foxley farm.
This superb photo show Matthew Gear with his wife, Winifred,outside their house,"Digory Cottage", which still stands at the top of Old Lyme Hill. He was a Fish monger and Horse trader. He had 2 sons - Cecil, who went on to own a fish and chip shop lower down on the street, and Billy who owned the Garage in the village centre.  
A view looking down Old Lyme Hill, with Digory Cottage on the right.The unusual name originates from the family who lived there for many years before the Gears.
"High Fields" , built on the Wedge in 1912, as it was a 100 years ago
the House today, but with the doorway to the right blocked in.  
A view looking up the Axminster Road with the tall building in the distance which was known as "Thatched Cottage".  
As it looks now, but with a gap where some cottages used to stand.  
An early photo of the area where Old Lyme Hill joins the Axminster Road. Before "High Field" was built on the left stood the Village Pound which was moved there in 1866 from St. Andrews Churchyard. There was once a Beer house at "Alpine Cottage" and below it the Poor House now "Silver Cottage".
The bottom of Old Lyme Hill with a crowd getting ready for a procession at the time of King Geoge V`s coronation in 1911.
This quaint thatched cottage stood at the bottom of Old Lyme Hill and was the home for one of Charmouths characters, Jimmy Hodges, who would place a barrel of beer outside for people to help themselves on Club Days. In time it became dilapidated and was eventually demolished to make way for a car park for the New Inn opposite. The spot is now marked with a Bus Shelter.
An Axminster Coach piled high with cases belonging to the departing visitors on its way to the Railway Station.  
A group following the coach as it makes its way up the Hill pass the New Commercial Inn on the right.
A very large crowd beginning the descent into the village on Club Day in 1906.Notice the handsome young man on the right with his "Plus Fours" and fob watch hanging from his waistcoat.  
Another early photo in the distance is the Thatched Cottage on the Axminster Road. The building on the right was the New Commercial Inn whose thatched roof caught light in 1887, and was rebuilt in brick soon afterwards.
a busy scene showing the newly built Inn with a group of horse drawn carriages laden with logs.  
The same view,but the building is now covered with a thick layer of Ivy, which can be seen on many of the buildings at that time. Mrs Taylor and George came regularly from Morcombelake with poultry and vegetables. Tommy Larcombe in shirt sleeves stands by.
Finally the pub as we see it today. It was converted into a number of cotttages after its closure in 1976.  
A group outside the New Inn in 1911
A wonderfully evocative photo of days gone by with two fine horses outside the New Inn. Notice the chap on the left with his trousers held up high with his braces.  
To the right of the New Inn was the Cottage Hospital founded in 1867,which now forms two cottages.  
A similar view but showing Melbourne House and the Well Head on the opposite side of the street.  
As we see it today, but with the buildings more brightly coloured.
A wonderful view revealing the Holt and Rosery on the left, with Charmouth House in the distance.
A photograph from a similar spot, but more animated, with a horse and cart at the side of the road In the doorway of the shop, where the Holt is today is no doubt the owner at that time.  The old lady with the bike is standing in the archway leading to the gardens of Melbourne House.
Another scene from the 1911 Coronation celebrations with a banner proclaiming God Bless the Queen on the fence of Askew House, which was the surgery for Alfred Barratt Hine who was the doctor at that time.  
The Rosery before bay windows were added.
An interesting study of a family in the garden of the Retreat being amused by the antics of their dogs.  
An informal shot of Mr and Mrs Clark, who were the owners of the Retreat relaxing on their garden seat with their family pet between them.
A view looking towards the thatched cottage at the top of Axminster Road. The ornate floral covered arch was one of a number constructed along the Street to mark the coronation of Kng Geoge V in 1911.
Mr Chard outside the Grocers he managed for Edward Vince who also owned the Charmouth Stores at this time. George Pidgeon who is standing in the doorway was the village postman. In more recent times the shop was known as Longs but now forms part of Melville House.  
A view of the parade of shops that stood at the top of the Street a century ago.
"Waterloo House" had long been the home of the Blacksmith. At this time it was owned by Alfred Childs who is probably standing in the doorway.At the side can be seen the shop window for his hardware shopwhich now forms part of the front of the Fossil Shop.
Mary Hutchins assisted her husband Fred in running this boot shop next door to the Blacksmiths.  
Fred Hutchins is seen here looking out of his shop whilst his slim down wife/mistress stand in the doorway of the adjoining “Granville House” where they lived.
The old style bus service, with passengers in the Wagonette on their way to the Railway Station at Axminster.  
The Charmouth Scouts passing Granville whilst marching to the Church Parade.
A fascinating look at the top end of The Street, when it had a number of flourishing businesses a century ago.
At the end of the holiday, the Carrier would take all the cases to the Station at Axminster. Here the two chaps are trying to get it all on their wagon, watched on by a small boy and 2 dogs.The two aproned chaps may well have just come back from a few drinks at the nearby New Inn to assist.
An early photograph revealing how a number of buildings looked at that time. Badgers was then a pretty cottage, before the porches were added.  Claremont has a delightful bow window which was to go when it was refronted by Harry Pryer. An earlier building had been the gatehouse for the Bridport -Exeter turnpike road which was opened in 1758. Waverley was later built next to "Well Head" where farmbuildings used to stand.
 These Cow Sheds could be seen at the rear of Badgers, but were demolished when South wood was built. They would have formed part of the outbuildings for Foxley Farm which stretched back from Old Lyme Hill and Higher Sea Lane.The Farm House was at the Wellhead, though it later moved to the Knapp.
Another view showing Claremont with it's wide sash windows.  
As we see it today.  
A lovely picture of a young girl at a small bench with her mother and grandmother in the garden of the Well Head.   It had been the farm house for Foxley farm run by Mr and Mrs Reuben Durrant. In 1926 Reg Pavey bought Well Head, then known as Briton House and lived there for the next 47 years.
This is a section of a panoramic photo of the Street. In the distance can be seen Childs, the blacksmiths and Hutchins shoe shop. The appearance of these and many doorways has changed dramatically. For they have a distinctive decorated  semicircular surround to them. You will see many other buildings with them in the forthcoming photos. They can still be seen at Stanley House, the home of the builder, Giles Pryer.  
The middle secton of the panorama shows Wilson seen standing outside his grocers shop.He afterwards moved to Luttrell House.
Here we have Miss Tarr and her neighbour, Miss Enoch,an infant school teacher,who lived in the house to the right posing for the camera. Notice the beautifully decorated cast iron Oil Lamp Post and also the water tap set into the wall in the centre of the picture.
Probably one of the best photographs to have come down to us. We are fortunate that Reg. Pavey recorded some of the people shown were.  The first sailor is Ted Hunter and the second is Charlie Larcombe. Captain Manley Dixon and his wife Juliana, who lived at the Elms, are seen in the Wagonette
The Circus comes to Charmouth. Here the Elephants pass Miss Tarrs shop which stood opposite Charmouth House.
The Miss Whittingtons outside Miss Tarrs Shop c. 1910
Here we see the side of Charmouth House in Higher Sea Lane which has now been cleared of Ivy and the rubble wall rendered over. Whereas part of Knapp Cottage has had its render removed to expose the stone work below.  
The first motor car in Charmouth was a De Dion which was owned by Sir Cecil Harrison. It is seen here outside the Coach House on the Knapp. At the wheel is Arthur Harrison, with other members of his family.
Another of the many postcards recording the Club Days. There were 2 clubs in Charmouth. these were the "National Sick and Burial Club" and St Andrews, the local "Court of the Ancient Order of Foresters". On Whit Sunday both clubs held a church parade and on Whit Moday a Fete, which judging by the postcards were very popular.
One of the earliest photographs of Charmouth c. 1870 showing a splendid shop front opposite Charmouth House, which at that time had iron railings.In the distancecan be seen the 3 cottages which were converted into The Court by Mrs Scalch.
A splendid hand coloured postcard looking down the Street, with Miss Tarrs fancy gift shop on the left.  
 
The flags waving on the right mark the entrance to the the field then known as Fountain Mead alongside Charmouth House, where the War Memorial stands today. It was here for many years that the village Fete and Club Days were held, before moving to a field off Lower Sea Lane.
This lovely photo shows the village Club Day on the field known as Fountain Mead. The distinctive shape of The Court can be seen in the background. The Village band and a forerunner of the Black and White Minstrels can be seen in the foreground. 
Charmouth House had for many centuries been known as the Fountain Inn. Here is an early photo of its rear, which has seen many alterations since.   The wall and greenhouse were later removed and drawing room on right enlarged.
134
 
This group of houses set back from the road are Omega, Grasmere and Dolphin House. If you look carefully there have been a number of charges from the appearance we see today.  
On the right can be seen the attractive Luttrell House with its iron railings which was built by John Bragge in 1795. It was later to have bay windows added to the front
A hand coloured photograph looking down the Street with The Court on the left and The Royal Oak Pub on the right.  
Cows  passing The Court  was a regular occurrence as they passed on their way to being milked in the Dairy at Backlands Farm.
An unusual photograph looking down from up high on to The Court with its glazed Conservatory built on its side, which has long since disappeared.  
Many of the early photographs reveal the unmade state of the roads, with their cobbled pathways. The thatched building on the right now called Alberry House was then known as "The Cottage".  
Another look at The Cottage, but now heavily encrusted with Ivy as was the fashion at that time.  
Robert Hazards ran a general store and Ironmonger which adjoined “Peria” where he lived. The shop was the second one to be destroyed in a fire and was never rebuilt.
The empty space today. Alongside on the right is a cottage named "Shoe and Stocking" after the Charity that helped support the former almshouses that stood there. These were relocated to a new building at the side of the Old School in 1868 at the expense of Mrs Shalch who lived at the adjoining Court.
The view with Peria and Luttrell House on the left reveals the mass of trees and hedges that once lined the street. One of the young boys has a Yoke on his shoulders to carry buckets of milk which he no doubt has collected from the nearby Backlands Dairy.  
A smashing shot of 2 young girls rushing to get on the Break which would have left the Coach and Horses on its way to the Railway Station at Axminster. On the right is the doorway to Luttrell House.  
Little Hurst, which is now the Doctors Surgery was one of the finer houses on the Street and for a time was the home of James Harrison and his family. He was a director of the famous firm of Royal printers which is named after him. He was an accomplished amateur photographer and and took a number of the photographs used in the talk. Back in 1857 it was briefly a convalescent home owned by Lord Herbert. The famous nurse, Florence Nightingale attended the opening.
The building today, with very little in the way of changes.
The rear with its Greenhouse and immaculate garden a 100 years ago.
The rear as seen today.
The young Guy Harrison and his two sisters by the Greenhouse.

The attractive gardens

Mr and Mrs Harrison in their Carriage and Pair admiring the secenery of Dorset.
The history of this Pub is relatively recent. For the licence was tranfered from the New Inn in Lower Sea lane in 1867,when the new coastguards cottages were built, to the Royal Oak. The house and the cottage below were formerly a butchers shop kept by John Wild,Father of Henry Wild of the New Commercial Inn
The young men stand proudly by their Pony andTrap outside the Royal Oak. Notice the mass of pebbles making up the pathway and gutter.
 
On the left of this photograph is the front of the old Post Office, which is now Wisteria House.
When William Holly sold the Axminster bus in 1900 he became Postmaster and his son William Holly Junior took on the post when he retired. The Post Office remained at “Wistaria” for 40 years, when it moved in 1940 to “Sunnyside”.
 
The mail van is one of the first motor vans to run between Dorchester and Charmouth. The driver was allowed to carry one passenger. The house was enlarged when the entrance to the stables was no longer required and premises were let to the Wilts and Dorset Bank (afterwards Lloyds).Mr William Holly, the postmaster is seen here standing behind the van.
The Building as it was before conversion into a shop on the left
Looking down the Street with the large white side elevation of The Elms.
The Elms here seen not yet enlarged and the cottage belonging to Miss Hyde still standing near by.
Hillside Terrace covered with Ivy. The long building in the centre was the Dairy for Backlands Farm which covered much of the area to the rear of the ancient boundary wall at the back of the Street.
Another view of Backlands dairy and Hillside terrace with the passageway that lead to the Farm at the rear.
Miss Harriett Templer who lived at 1 Hillside, is seen here on the way to Church.
This astonishing photo was found in awful condition and after repairing and strengthening the image now provides a unique view of an Otter Hunt, we think! The building on the right is Backlands Farm house.  
This detailed photograph shows the old Manor House on the the left and the Coach and Horses on the right. The pavements and gutters were made of beach stones, as can be seen by their damaged state around the drain.
 
 
A similar view point, but this time with a procession of smartly dressed residents outside the Manor. Walking up towards them is the village policeman.
This detailed photograph shows the old Manor House on the the left and the Coach and Horses on the right. The pavements and gutters were made of beach stones, as can be seen by their damaged state around the drain.
We are not sure why these young boys are depicted with the donkey and trap, but it makes an interesting study of days gone by when work would start from a very young age for children.
It is difficult to recognise this building as it has changed its appearance so much over the century. It is in fact "The Elms", now the home of the Council Offices.
The Elms was dramatically altered and enlarged by Dr Norris in 1920 as can be seen by comparing the previous photo with todays.
The rear of the Elms with its beautiful gardens. Now sadly built over. The original grounds stretched back into Lower Sea Lane. Deeds relating to the building date back to 1575, when it was described as Manns Tenement and belonged to the Lord of the Manor, Sir John Petre.
The aptly named Coach and Horses with a string of horses ready to haul the wagon up the Street. Notice the initials of the Cyclists Touring Club sign. The club was founded in 1878 and placed these big cast iron signs on cycle friendly hotels. The club, now called CTC, is still going today.
A sunday school outing of young girls passes the walls of St. Andrews Church.
A close up of Holly's Omnibus which took passengers from the coach and horses, whose entrance can be seen in the background, on to Bridport. Notice the G.W.R. Standing for Great Western Ralway on the side of the carriage for which he was an agent.
An early photo from about 1880, when the old Coach and Horses was still standing.In earlier times it had been known as the "3Crowns".
Another view of the extensive building before its thatched roof caught fire in 1882 and it was susequently demolished and rebuilt.  
Club Day was always very popular in Charmouth and here the Volunteers band can be seen outside the rebuilt Coach and Horses about to lead the procession up to Fountains Mead.  
After 1858 a Lyme -Bridport bus was started which stopped at Coach and Horses. The Bus had room for 6 passengers outside and 6 inside, it remained in service until 1922.The driver shown here with a full coach was Mr W. J. Hounsell.
Here two young boys are seen posing outside the long established butchers shop that stood for many years next to the Coach and Horses.  
Charmouth Stores, now Nisa can trace its history back to 1806 when it was opened by Joseph Bradbeer. The original building was lost in a fire in 1862 and rebuilt in brick by Giles Prior who lived in Stanley House, whose projecting windows can be seen at the end of the terrace.  
This is a wonderful study of the Stores when it was run by John Baker. The cart outside was owned by Lizzie Taylor who came regularly from Morcombelake with chickens, rabbits and vegetables and was a well known figure in the village for many years.  
Another procession, this time with the village band leading a line of scouts to their Summer Camp near the beach
An early view looking up the street. On the right can be seen the railings of the Limes and adjoining it were the stables for the house.
Mr and Mrs John Stamp and family.He lived in the cottage behind the Star Inn and was coachman to Captain Bullen who lived in the lower part of the Manor House and whose stables were at its rear.
This must be one of the best photographs taken of the village. It has been hand coloured to make it even more exiting. The carriage outside the Coach and Horses appears regularly in photos of the period and must have been permanently parked there as an advert for the Hotel. The ornate windows on the left ate those of Stanley House, then occupied by the Pryer family
A herd of Cows climbing up the Street to be milked at the Dairy situated at Backlands Farmhouse, at that time run by William Brookes.
On the left can be seen the shop front of Dampiers, shortly after they took the Charmouth Stores over.The sign at the side for the "Star Inn" lead to a pub at the rear of the premises. The bench outside stood there for many years. In the distance is the tall building known then as Sunnyside. For over 50 years there was a garden between it and Barrs Lane, where the shops are today.  
An early view showing the building which at one time was a coach house to "The Limes", now called Little Lodge. The thatched building in the distance was known as Streets and was to be lost in a fire at the end of the 19th century. Notice the old Penny Farthing in the doorway
Definitely an informal shot of Beech House, with the 2 dogs sniffing each other in the foreground. The beautiful curved doorways produced by Pryers, the builders can be seen on the outside of the 2 cottages. In the 19th century John Hodges bought the house and built the adjoining shop as a butchers    
Mr and Mrs Tom Larcombe and family with Tom Long the Postman sitting in the garden of Beech House.
 
 
A carriage speeds past Sanford House. The building was demolished in 1958 to improve access to Lower Sea Lane. To the left can be seen the workshops of Pryers, the Stone Mason and Builders, which is now the Pharmacy shop.
Charmouth Lodge was previously called The Limes for obvious reasons. The two old ladies look quaints in their attire.
The group of children standing outside the Limes include the historian, Reg Pavey who spent his childhood in the house.
Two of the Whittington sisters passing the gates to The Limes where they lived.Later hey were to make their mark on the village as school teachers and pillars of society.  
 
 
Their parents, The Reverend Richard and Julia Whittington standing in the garden of the Limes where they lived.
An early photograph of the Limes with an unusual conservatory on the left of he house. One can just make out the corner of the thatched cottage of Streets, which was destroyed in a fire in 1894 and would be where the Post Office is today.  
The same view looking down Barrs Lane.
One of the Whittington Sisters with her dog on the front Lawn of The Limes. In the background is the vacant space where THe Arcade would be built in 1934.
A gardener stands in the front garden of The Limes with Pryers Stone Masons Yard in the background. Notice how narrow Lower Sea Lane was then before Sandford House was demolished in 1958.
On the right is the garden where "Streets House" stood before being destroyed in a fire in 1894
A wonderful view looking into Pryers Yard with Harold, nicknamed Pusey standing proudly on the centre.
Another photo of the yard and it's office, which is now the Pharmacy, but used to be Braggs Store. A large Flagpole stands in the centre with Stonebarrow farm to be seen in the distance.
Another procession marches through the Street watched on by an old chap with crutches standing at the corner of Lower Sea Lane.  
An old photo showing part of the group of 3 houses stretching from Barrs Lane that went up in flames in 1894. Maccornish lived in the first cottage, William Barnes lived in next cottage, then came Coles shop and his Bakehouse. The site where the first 2 cottages had been was planted with a row of trees. Frank Coles built Sunnyside on the site of his earlier bakery.
A magnificent image of days gone by, with a view that has changed radically over the years. Most of the buildings on the left were to be lost to fires. The hedge stretching to the Queens Armes in the distance was the boundary of Pear Close, owned by Pusey Pryer who ran his business from the workshops on the corner of Lower Sea Lane.  
 
 
An unusual view showing how Devon Edge edge towered over its neighbours. built by Frank Coles as a hotel after the devasting fire of 1894. It was found to be too big for the limited market and was converted into apartments.
An unusual view looking toward Devon Edge before shops were built on both sides. The carved figurehead was washed up on the beach and was placed in the grounds of Pryers workshops and was a landmark until his death in 1931.
The village Policeman leads the band and children through the street past Devonsedge.  
Holly's omnibus is seen here dwarfed by the mass of Sunnyside, which at that time stood on its own.
Visitors are seen here leaving by the bus which is driven by Mr William Holly junior. Standing on the pavemant seeing them off  are James Harrison (2nd on left) Mr C. Fletcher, Miss Ada Hill, and the misses Hutchinson. Behind are Mrs Coles and Miss Dare. Mr Farrang, assistant Baker is in the doorway. Mrs Taylor is behind the boy on the right.
This old photograph shows Coles bakery and the Felstones shoe shop on the left that were burnt down in 1894. On right of this picture can be seen the Queens Armes  
Frank Coles and his son were the village bakers and here seen out delivering their fresh loaves at what is the junction of Devonedge Lane and the Street.
The Queens Armes, now the Abbots House,which at that time was the Manse Residence of the Chapel Minister. The cottage on the left was let seperately and contained the room in which King Charles hid whilst trying to flee the country.
A hand coloured postcard recording the event in 1651 when King Charles II stayed for one night at the house when it was an Inn.
The procession following the flag marking the coronation of King George V in 1911
Frank Coles son with his empty basket after delivering loaves of bread. The wall behind him is interesting as it made of clay and straw and is known as a Cob Wall. The road seems to be covered with mud.
An early photograph of the centuries old George Inn  
Mr and Mrs French, licensees of the George Inn stand proudly outside the porch with their daughters.  
An idyllic image of the village from the past looking up towards the Church and Coach and Horses. The attractive gardens of the Queens Armes can be seen on the left.
A horse and carriage stand on an empty road outside the George in this rustic scene from the past.
Tom Long, the village postman is joined here by 3 other cyclists outside the George.  
An attractive coloured postcard looking down the Street towards the Mill.  
Another one of the hand coloured postcards published by Stengel in 1906. The young children are excitedly posing for the camera. Primrose Cottage can be seen on the left and the Queens Armes with its high hedges on the right.  
One of the earliest photographs in the village about 1880. The thatched roof of the old Coach and Horses can be seen by he church. On the right is Bow House,before alterations and in the centre the George Inn. It's sign at that time hang at the side and not from the projecting roof of the porch. The room above the porch was used as a lookout and is shown here only glazed at the front. 
A similar view but with the rebuilt Coach and Horses and Bow House
The view as we see it today
Colonel John Bullen is seen here leading the crowd as it goes through the village beating the bounds. He lived at nearby Catherstone Manor and was referred to as the Squire. His family had previously owned the Manor House in Charmouth from 1804.  
The Grange on the left is an 18th century house, where Billy Moore used to live. He kept cows in Pear Close and Donkeys, which he hired out. Later this house was inhabited by George Bugler who owned a traction engine.The Tea Rooms were kept by Reeves. The small shop opposite was built by Penny for Fred March. It was called the “Match Box”.
John Hodder standing outside the entrance to Rose Cottage at the junction of Bridge Road and the Street. As well as a carrier and furniture remover he manufacturered ginger beer. In addition to his wagonette he owned a wagon and was the general Haulier of the village.
A view of his house - Rose Cottage
The house as we see it today
The Bridport Bus is seen here leaving the village over the bridge.  
The bottom of the hill where the Volunteers had their Drill hall. Previously the building had been used by Jessee Rapsey as a workshop. The row of houses opposite is where the Customs and Excise men lived before the Coastguard cottages in Lower Sea Lane were built. The Mill house was turned into the Manor Farmhouse when the Mill ceased to run.
It took us ages to find out where exactly this building is today. Here the owner is shown in 1911 with his front covered with banners proclaiming the coronation of King George V.
The view from the same spot today. Sadly something has been lost in the intervening years.  
The area of the village that has changed beyond recognition is by the bridge, where there once stood a Flour Mill. The following photos reveal what we have lost in the name of progress. Here we see the Miller, JohnToms,proudly standing outside his house with his assistant loading up a wagon at the side.  
A close up of the Mill with sacks of flour being loaded on to the cart. The Miller at this time was John Toms. When he died it was bought by Colonle Bullen,but was not very successful due to competition and went into decline.
A view from the river bank of the mill  
The view as we see it today from Manor Farm
Mrs Rose Toms, wife of John the manager of the Mill feeding the geese on the Mill Pond.  
The Mill bridge was built in 1824 . On the north parapet was a warning to anyone who wilfully damaged the bridge. The photograph was taken by James Harrison about 1900 when the Mill was still working. The Mill Pond can still be seen on the right.  
Another photograph of the floral arches that werebuilt, this time over the Bridge to commemorate King George V coronation in 1911.  
A view from the other side of the bridge.  
 
The building on the left is one of a number of toll houses that were built along the route of the Turn Pike road in 1826 linking the village with Bridport. The row of cottages were at one time rented to Customs Officers.
Newlands Manor can be seen in the centre behind the Trees.
Newlands Manor when it was a School