Lansdowne House. The Street. Charmouth
|Scroll down to find out more about Charmouth`s Past.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
|Other properties bought by Rev.John Dixon Hales in 1837. -
(1) a formerly in occupation of Mary Coffin and Edward Woon/ton - later occupied by Felstone.
| Before the 1894 fire, which destroyed it, "Lansdowne" was a shoe shop, kept by Felstone. (Mrs. Felstone was Fred Penny's aunt). The site was purchased from Coles by Stapleforth of Lyme who built the garage while occupying at the same time the Coach and Horses Stables. The house had to be built some few feet from the pavement, otherwise it would have obstructed a north window in the adjacent cottage. This window has recently been filled in. Wolllard followed Stapleforth supposing the garage to be the only one in the village.
Before the 1894 fire, which destroyed it, "Lansdowne" was a shoe shop, kept by Felstone. (Mrs. Felstone was Fred Penny's aunt). The site was purchased from Coles by Stapleforth of Lyme who built the garage while occupying at the same time the Coach and Horses Stables. The house had to be built some few feet from the pavement, otherwise it would have obstructed a north window in the adjacent cottage. This window has recently been filled in. Woollard followed Stapleforth supposing the garage to be the only one in the village".
|A sketch of the three buildings that were lost in the fire in 1894, Today they would be The Arcade, Devon Edge and Lansdowne House.|
|1841 Tithe Map showing John Dixon Hales properties in Charmouth in red.
|Sea View Lower Sea Lane - Hales
Robert Hunter was the first to live in the house, which had originally intended for an Inn according to Tom Hunter, who was born there.
Sea View was built ona piece of Ground called The Potato Plot. Purchased by Rev J.D. Hales in 1837. Other properties bought by Rev. j. d. Hales in 1837.
(1) a formerly in occupation of Mary Coffin and Edward Woonton - later occupied by Felstone.
(2) Double Common
(3) Plot B on both sides of Main Street.plot on corner of Sea Lane was Braggs Stores (1947) formerly H.E. Pryers workshop and yard had been a carpenters shop for many years. It was owned by Benedicta Durston in 1771 and let to Thomas Rickard at yearly tent of 6d. Occupied in 1843 by F. Coles. Plot C was bought from William Burnard. Cottages and buildings upon land where once stood the New Inn, which was built by Emmanuel Symes and occupied by John Hodder. It consisted of two cottages and occupied by F. Coles and Martha Gordge. Also in 1843 Minsons Common was purchased from William Burnard. Described in deeds as being in Mill Lane or otherwise Seaside Lane. It was formerly called The Common and was sold to Joseph Durston in 1769 by Robert Minsons.
This property was left by Rev. J.D. Hales to his 2 sons John and Arthur. Rev. J.D. Hales died in 1879.
Arthur Hales died in 1904 and left his share to his wife Maria Frances Hales.
Abstract of the Title Deeds of Primrose Cottage
The Will 1861 of John Dixon Hales of Charmouth Lodge - Charmouth. After reciting Indenture dated 19th January 1843 between William Burnard and J.D. Hales whereby all that Messuage or dwelling house situated in Charmouth afterwards known as the New Inn and which premises thre consisted of two cottages and gardens therein the occupation of F.Coles and Martha Gordge was assigned to J. D.Hales for the residue of 2000 years granted by Indenture of lease 20th October 1656 between John Bragge and Ann his wife and John Sampson and by the same indenture a stable for many years past converted into a stable or carpenters shop
|1754 Mr. Minson for Joynes Common.|
|An auction ten years before of some of his estate includes Minson ' s Common, Double Common and Sea View in Lower Sea Lane as well as a number of houses Harry Pryer.|
This house was built on a piece of ground called "The Potato Plot" and was purchased by the Rev.J.D.Hales, rector, in 1837. For many years it was known as "Robert Hunter's House' as he was the first tenant.
|The Well Head, which used to be the Farm House for Foxley Farm and was bought by John Minson of Eype in 1711 has deeds that are relevant. For in 1735 Anthony Ellesden, the Lord of the Manor, granted to John Minson...all that cottage in Charmouth called Guppy`s tenement, consisting of a Messuage , garden and meadow called Common Close containing 1 acre and common Pasture in a Common called Langmore with the appurtenances were formerly in the possession of George Mantle.|
An Indenture dated 19th January 1843 between William Burnard of the one part and John Dixon Hales on the other part whereby that messuage or dwelling house situated in Charmouth aforesaid afterwards known as the New Inn and which premises then consisted of two cottages and the gardens there to belonging and then in the occupation of Frederick Coles and Martha Goodge respectively was assigned to said J.D. Hales for the residue of a term of 2,000 years granted by Indenture of lease dated 20th October 1656 between John Bragge and Ann his wife of the one part and John Sampson of the other part and by the same Indenture a stable for many years past converted into a stable and Carpenters shop situated in Mill Lane otherwise Seaside Lane, Charmouth aforesaid and which was then in occupation of Harry William Pryer was assigned to said John Dixon Hales for the residue of term of 1,000 years granted by Indenture of lease dated 13th November 1771 between Benedicta Dirtson of the one part and Thomas Richard of the other part subject to the yearly rent of 6d thereby reserved.
An Indenture dated 25th December 1853 between the said William Burnard of the one part and said John Hales of the other part whereby All that one acre of meadow ground formerly known as The Common but then as Minsons Common situated in Mill Lane , Charmouth aforesaid and then in the occupation of said Frederick Coles was assigned to said J.D.Hales for the residue of a term of 2,000 years granted by Indenture of Lease dated 1st September 1769 between Robert Minson of the one part and Joseph Durston of the other part.
All those two plots or parcels of land containing together 1a 3r 0p situated in Charmouth and adjoins Main Street - 30 January 1837
Carpenters workshop 19th January 1843
Occupied by F.Coles and Maryha Gordge
Alos in 1843 Minsons Common was purchased by William Burnard.Described. In deeds as being in Mill Lnae or otherwise Seaside Lane. It was formerly called the common and was sold to Joseph Durston in 1st September 1769 by Robert Minson. This property was left by Rev. j.F. Hales to his sons John and Arthur. rev J.D. Hales died in 1879. Arthur Hales died 20th to Wander Inn.
The 1861 Will of John Dixon Hales of Charmouth Lodge in title deeds of Primrose Cottage.similar to deeds of Sea View.Except that in 1943 indenture between William Burnard and J.D.Hales. Whereby all April 1904that messuage or Dwellong Ouse situate in Charmouth afterwards known as the New Inn which premises then consisted of 2 cottages and gardens in occupation of F.Coles and Maryha Gordge was assigned to J.D. Hales for the residue of 2000 years granted by indenture of lease dated 1656 between John Bragge and Anne his wife and John Sampson and by the same indenture a stable for many years past converted into a Stable or Crapenters shop,
The well head
A dwelling house garn Orcahrd containing by estimation 1 acre or thereabouts.
1683 mrs Balston to George mantle 1688 George Mantle to William Hodder £106
William bAlston in 1642 protestation list.
1688 George Mantle to William Hodder
1695 mortgage between Mary, widow of William Hodder and John Bennett in trust for John Edwards.
1711 Mary Hodder sells to John Minson of Eype. For £58
1744 John Monson to Anne Minson , his wife
1747 Robert Minson to William Walter, mariner £71
1751 William Walter to Samuel Burrow, Farrier
1758 Samuel Burrow to Ealter Oke of Pinney to Matthew Palmer of Plymouth
1758 Samurl Palmer to his sister Mary Palmer
1770 Miss Palmer to John Adcock of London for £105
1771 john Sdcock to Hurst Timberlake
1781 Hurst Timberlake to John Woolrick
1784 John Woolrich to Lucuis Bragge of Axminster
House, garden in Charmouth to his cousins Elizabeth and Mary Richard jointly
1808 rev B Coombe, executor to John Bull of Elmore, thrnecombe
Pavey notes for 100 talk
Charmouth from the air 1955
Only house in per sea lane was sea view
Since called gresham house. in lower sea lane on west side the 2 cottages on socking and shoe land now called The Chalet. On the east side below he school were the almshouses, the last guards cottages and a house known as Sea View which was built on ground named the Potato Plot.
Coles bakery and cottages were burnt down in 1894
Lily farm rebuilt in 1905
Elms trees in Sea Lane were cut down after the death of H.W. Pryer in 1931
The butchers slaughter house stood on Glebe land below the schoo
, now Wesleys close.
The Lyme Road was built in 1825 to replace old roams and later coaching road. Beer house now Alpine Cottage and below it the Poor House now Silver. the village pound was moved from outside the churchyard in 1866 to the end of the wedge between the 2 roads. High field built in 1907, the mount was built in 1897 and high field in 1907. Foley far, house in 1890 was he WellHead and layer moved to the Knap
Mrs slogan stands outside her house the old entrance gates to the Rosiery the narrow entrance to the doctors house . Coles bread art outside. A horse is being shod in the blacksmiths and the cart left outside. View looking doen hill.
The axminster road showing the butchers shop and outage above since pulled down Thatch Cottagr was wher the married Coast Guards lived before their cottages I'm The Sea Lane were built. in 1883 it was a school kept by Mrs Aplin.
Child's shop this Ouse has been the Holme of many Blacksmiths. the forge orinally was reached through an archway and the ironmongery shop and house hrough another. remains of these arches were visible Neil a short time ago. With the disappearance of horse drwm traffic a blacksmith was no longer needed and the forge was used as a plumbers and builders workshop. the ironmongery sho
Was found to be too small as the village grew and was moved to wisteria, and was then Charmouth Pottery. He shop on the right os the photo used to be a tin smiths, until it became the entrance to the forge.
Site of a former new inn.
Check out beer house appears to Ne next oporto house in photo of hill
The new inn was with mr and mes Henry wild standing outside He Well Head, then the farm house for Foxley Far, and occupied by Mr and Mrs Durrant has dormers and the front has not been altered and it has dormer windows. The cow she's of the farm can be seen which was pulled down when Southwood was built. The cottage next to the inn was one time the Cottage Hospital. Melbourne house a granddaughter of James Warden miss Lucy Liddon lived here until she died in 1878 aged 80. Oliver bought the house and put in Bay windows and sold it to Thomas Tarr. The latter sld it when he ought Portland House.
Hospital established in 1867.
Bridge over river built in 1930 after the previous one washed away in 1927, completed at a cost of £193 by Frd Penny.
Bathing machines belonged o the Hnters and during winter monhs stood outside the event factory. Replaced by tents.
In 1893 he first bathnh tents appeared in Charmouth.
Sea is shallow foreshore shelving and there is o shelter.
William Hollu in 1881 became agent for the railway. The bus used o leave Wistaria House just before 9 in the morning and drove to the Mll, where it turned and on its way back took on passengers and Parcels arriving I'm Axminster in time for the London train from Exter at 10.15 it waited in Axminster untl 3.15 and reached charmouth at 4.30
Mr Holly and his son William drove he bus . He lower part was buff and he upper part black, whilst he route Charmouth axminster was painted on red panelling below the windows on either side. On 1899 Mr Hollu sold the business to Mrs Pagan of he Coach and Horses.
The Axminster Bus c.1896
Sunny side had just been built after the fire which destroyed the old bakery and he cottages above. Visitors ate leaving by the bus which is driven by Mr William Holly junior. standing on the pave,ant seeing hem off are Mr J.W. Harrison (2nd on left) mr C. Fletcher, Miss Ada Hill,an and the misses Hutchinson. Behind are Mrs Cole and Miss Dare. mr Farrang, assistant baked, is in the doorway. mrs Taylor with her Cary is behind the boy on he right.
Mr Harrison came to Charmouth in 1889 and lived at Littlehurst . mr Fletcher was adon of Mgdalen College Oxford, and was a frequent visitor in the 1890s his we're the bathing tents on he beach miss Hillman lived at Port
An Cottage, and misses Hutchison at Lutteell Houss. mrs Taylor came daly from Morcombelake with vegetables and poultry.
Bridport Omnibus. Until the railway opened in 185& a bus ram between the 3 cups in Lyme and charmouth to up passengers for Lyme who were traveling on the Exeter Coach, which did not go through Lyme. After 1858 a Lyme Bridport bus was started which stopped at Coach and Horses. Bus had room for 6 passengers outside and 6 inside. The service was one of he last I'm Ne country lastin until 1922
cevonedge renamed in 1947
The common bought by Joseph Durston in 1769 fro, Robert Minson.
On 1711 John Minson of Eype purchased the Well Head from Mary Hodder.
Well head with 1 acre look up deeds.
Streets now where shops are rented by digory gorge. In 1862 with an acre of ground
Lutteell house was built by john Bragge 1795.
Clare,ong had a delightful bow window, the front was later changed by H.W.Pryer
The cow shed of Foxley Far,, now Southwood and the back of Badgers.
Photo of Farrs Miss Enoch and Miss Tarr.
Wilson is seen standing outside his grocers shop he afterwards moved to Luttrell House when he stated the Axminster Bus. He shop was bought By H,as Tarr, and his two daughters set up as dressmakers. When her younger sister died miss Tarr changed the business to fancy and toy shop. miss Tarr died in 1939 the Lowe picture shows it inher time.
View looking down opposite charmouth house bread and cake shop kept by W. Barnes , thatched building then miss tarts. Volunteers drill hall, then he telephone exchange.
Bridport Exeter turnpike road opened in 1758 with gates opposite Claremont. The gatehouse may have stood Where Claremont stands.
Higher Sea Lane, ended at Gresham House, then known as Sea Housw. And led to a field called the Drang through which ran a footpath to the Moddle Mead and Jessy Close and thence to the Beach. These fields were known as Higher Sea Fields and in 1898, the Drang and Middle Mead were put up for auction for building sites by J.J. coulton, when several plots were sold. The unsold lots were offered again in 1904, but as no one turned up the auction plots remained unsold.
From the dorset chronicle an inn or tavern called the Grange Inn occupied by Mr John Love nov. 1st 1838.
There were 2 clubs . On Hwit Sunday both held a church parade and on Whot Monday A Fete. this was in Fountain Mead and later in the field where the War Memorial stands.
Charmouyh Flower Sho and Fete 1908 dancing on the green. The Flower Show as held in the field in Lower Sea Lane on the souh side of he Almshoiusrs (Hall View) The entrance was decorated with an arch of evergreens. This photo of the decorators in 1904 , who wee admiring their work , are seated on the gate of the file opposite in which the Church Hall was built later.
Post office at Wistaria House. Wilts and Dorset Bank. There
r.H Hazzard grocery and ironmongery shop. Not yet burnt down. Little Hurst purchased by J.W Harrison in 1889 . In 1850 it was enter by Lord Herbert for a convalescent home Florence Nightingale attended the opening.
The elms Dr Norris. 1920 enlarged and the rooms a,dr to face opposite direction the cottage next door was up
Led down and the gardens joined together.
Gears garage built c. 1928 elm cut down in 1954
Cecil Bugler kept a steam Engine.
The Mill owned by Bullen the mill converted into 2 cottages.
July 10th Charmouth Faitd Donkey raced up street as far as Grange Gate bobbing for treacle buns and leg of mutton on Greasy Pole, fair ceased with war in 1914
Cottages below Limes burnt down in 1894 Martha Gordges family lives in top cottage fire Brock out on a Sunday afternoon . Four hoses destroyed. Q
Bradbeer cottage. Joseph Bradbeer had purchased it in 1805 from the Rev. Thomas Puddicombe of Wood Farm for £100 the. Premises had been originally a coach Ouse and stables converted into a Dwellong house and butchers shop belonging to a Dwellong house on the north side of the street in part of which Farmer Bowditcj formerly resided belonging to Kames Earden and afterwards to Joseph Bradbeer who lived at the 3 Crowns (1809) Postmastet.He latter left it to his widow who married in 1832 William Dodson Watts. He deserted her in 1841. On 1861 Lydia Watts was 86 yeast old, blind and very infirm and was receiving 2/6 relief from the parish she had carried on a small grocery shop and sold sweets to the children on the way to school She was buried in 1865. Mrs Watts had only
I've interest in the property. it cost £13 to recite from her a surrender on her life interest in the old shop and conveyance to the eccliastiacl commissioners in 1861
Hillside , formerly known by the name of Folletts and Tibbs Teneemnet as owned by Jacob Burrows who conveyed it to his son in law Edward Farr, afterwards called Farrs Tenement. Lydia Watts House was without doubt originally the stable and latch house belonging to the ,another house opposite. Mrs warden left it o Thoams Puddicombe a relation.
|1827 Charles baptised to John Felstone and Sarah Felstone nee`Potter - Shoe Maker.|
|John married srah Potter in 1824|
|1833 Mr. Kesterman- Mr. Burnard- Pear Close- £6|
|John died in 1839|
|1841 Census shows Sarah Felstone, a Shoemaker aged 36 living with her five children|
|1874 directory miss emma felstone - grocer and draper|
|son a boot maker in bridport|
Tithe no. 46 Rev. John Hales renting to Sarah Felstone. The area is 1 roods 4 perches
1841 Tithe Map
|1886 Map showing same buildings before fire of 1894 destroyed them|
|The 1901 O/S Map shows Devon Edge rebuilt on same spot by Frank Cole and both "Streets" and "Lansdowne House" still vacant.|
|The same spot on the Map of 1928 with the piece of ground where "Streets" stood still vacant. Devons edge was built in 1895 and Lansdowne House shortly afterwards but with a passage to the west of it for access to the yard behind.|
|A close up of the foremr Lansdowne House with its Bow shop window to the right in 1880 when it was run by|
|A photograph c.1890 looking down the Street. The white building with the iron railings is the site of Devonedge and to the right is Lansdowne House behind the young boy.|
|July 12th 1895 Bridport News.
On Sunday afternoon, about three o'clock, smoke was observed issuing from the thatched roof of an uninhabited house belonging to Mr. Pryer, builder. An alarm was at once raised, but the fire had got such a firm hold of the roof that it was found impossible to save it. Efforts were directed to save the adjoining house of Mr. Coles, baker, which was also thatched, but in spite of the exertions of a ready band of helpers, the fire obtained the mastery of the house. A considerable quantity of Mr. Coles furniture and stock was saved and stored in the School Room, which fortunately available, as the school holidays are now on. An uninhabited house, adjoin Mr. Coles, next caught fire, and there was great fear that an adjacent block of thatched cottages would be involved in the conflagration. By pulling down the walls of the house next Mr. Coles the progress of the flames was checked, but the three houses were completely burnt out. Mr. Prayers house and that of Mr. Coles were insured, but we are sorry to say, wholly inadequate to cover the loss incurred by the fire. The third house belonging to Major General Hales was uninsured. Much sympathy is felt for the suffered, and especially for Mr. Coles, whose business will receive a considerable check thro the disaster. Mr Pryer had unify gone to London the proceeding day, and was from home when the property was destroyed. The original of the fire is unknown.
|A pile of rubble can be seen to the right of Sunnyside (Devonedge) where the former "Lansdowne House" stood until destroyed in the 1894 fire.|
A crowd goes marching by Devonedge which has vacant spaces either side of it in 1911
|Submitted by:J Mathison On behalf of:Mr StapleforthBuilding description:Dwelling House and Garage Charmouth Street, CharmouthDC-BTR/BC/1923/16|
|Submitted by: C J Stapleforth On behalf of:Unknown Building description:Petrol Pump etc. Lansdowne Garage, Charmouth.DC-BTR/BC/1923/26|
|DC-BTR/BC/1924/1Submitted by:C J Stapleforth On behalf of:Unknown Building description:Five Houses, Lower Sea Lane, Charmouth.|
|DC-BTR/BC/1927/9Submitted by:C J Stapleforth On behalf of: Unknown Building description:Two cottage, Charmouth Street.|
Lansdowne House in 1921 soon after it was built.
1926 Electoral Roll ffor the Woollards in Charmouth. They were gone by 1931
Lansdowne House with its Garage in the forecourt in 1922
A close up of Wollards Garage in 1922
An Aerial photograph of 1928. The large building is Devonedge with a passage way seperating it from Lansdowne House to the right.
Charmouth Street in 1950s with Garages opposite each other.