Luttrell House
Scroll down to find out more. Click on images or Home to return back.

Reginald Pavey`s notes on Lutrell House:
The house east of 'Peria' is now called "Luttrell House" .. I have noticed that John Hodges, a Bournemouth draper, who once owned it, called it "Charmouth House" . This was before George Holly changed the name of "The Fountain" to "Charmouth House". The house was built by the family of John Bragge in 1735. he was a great friend of Norman Bond. His father was rector from 1708 to 1747 and is reported to have had his coffin made from his dining room table, when he died in the middle of the self indulgent eighteenth century. In 1889 it was the property of John Hodges when the window looking down the street was made. About that time Colonel and Mrs. Little lived there until 1891. They had a large family and also boarded boys whose parents were abroad. My father was told the following amusing story by Colonel Little. He was convinced that the house was haunted by a lady in a long silk gown, which he could hear sweeping the ground as she walked but never could see. One boisterous night when the rain was beating against the windows and the wind was howling round the house, the swish of her skirt became unbearable. Colonel Little slipped out of bed and crawled along the floor determined to catch the lady. He could distinctly hear her just ahead and he thrust out his hand, but instead of grasping the silken skirt his hand wont through a large Japanese parasol, which was ornamenting the fireplace and damaged it beyond repair. The lady was never heard again. Colonel Little became blind and went to Painswick, Gloucestershire.
Mr. and Mrs. Hutchingson and family then became tenants and were followed by Mr. and Mrs. Spotiswoode of the publishing firm of Spottiswoode and Eyre. It was a curious coincidence that they came to live opposite J.N.Harrison who was printer to tho royal family.
In 1918 Mr. and Mrs. John West and daughter occupied the house. Mr West had been a constracting engineer in Rochester, Kent and when the footbridge connecting Gear's car park and the east cliff - "built when the course of the river was altered in 1906 - got washed away, the Parish Council asked for tenders to build a bridge to replace it. An estimate of £310 was made by a Bristol firm, but John West considered this excessive and suggested building one with local labour. He, Fred Penny, carpenter, and others set to work and the bridge was built for £193 . 2 . 1, thereby saving the parish over £100. It was officially opened by Mrs. West on 4th.August 1930. All plans and records are in the possession of the Parish Council. John West died in 1954. During their tenancy another bedroom had to be exorcised before it could be used owing to certain alarming manifestations. Again on two occasions dogs refused to go near a certain part of the garden although the owner could neither see or* feel anything out of the ordinary. Luttrell House is no longer a private residence but a small boarding House and cafe. The stables and coach house have been turned into a small and attractive house called "Penderell" .

 

 
 
 
 
61 Albury House William JUSON William JUSON House & Garden - - 2 3
62 Luttrell House Rev.Thomas HODGES Rev. Thomas HODGES House & Garden - - 2 19
63 Peria Hannah CHURCHILL Thomas DRAYTON House & Garden - - - 13
1887
1901
1928
Today
Aerial Photo
Miss Maria Churchill running a Ladies Boarding School in 184o and 1844 Directory from Peria
CHURCHILL, Anne E Providence Cottage F 75 1766 1844
CHURCHILL, Anne E Providence Cottage F 35 1806 1844
DRAYTON Thomas Merchant Public Record Office PROB 11/2077 29 July 1848
Thomas Drayton of Lyme Regis died in 1848 aged just 36 an is buried there. In 1846 he was a Wine Merchant on the Cobb in Lyne Regis.