Catherston

Scroll down to find out more about Charmouth`s Past.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.

The Original Manor before the 16th Century Porch was dismantelled and rebuilt at the side of the replacement building in 1887
Colonel Bullen is seen here with his family at the entrance to the rebuilt Manor House.
The same view of Catherstone Manor today
The late 16th Century stone porch was taken down and re- erected at the east end of the modern front in 1887 Dorothy and Nicholas Wadham carved into the stone on the front of the ornate entrance to Wadham College, Oxford
A Newspaper Advert for the sale of Catherstone Manor and Lily Farm on Thursday, August 7, 1823  

In 1558 John Wadham held the Manor of Catherstone. He was Captain of Sandes Fort, near Weymouth and Recorder of Lyme Regis.He died in 1584 and is buried at Whitchurch Canonicorum.In the same year he was shown as paying 6d rent to Sir William Pole for a Burgage in the borough of Charmouth.His great grandchild sold his Catherstone Estate to Sir John Jeffery of Hampton, who was patron of the church in 1618. In 1645 John Jeffery , a captain in Charles1 army had his farm value £100 sequestered, and in 1647 the Manor of Catherstone was sold to Walter Yonge and Sir John Yonge. He in turn sold it in 1669 to Richard Henville, Esq of Looke, near Abbotsbury in Dorset. By 1783 it was sold again to William Drewe of New Inn, London. In 1824 it was sold by John Rose Drewe and William Tucker to James Ross, and was then sold in 1838 to Richard Charles Hildyard, QC and MP for Whitehaven who passed it on to his son Robert Henry Hildyard, Attaché to the British Embassy at Paris in France. The present Manor House was built in 1887 by Colonel Bullen, but incorporates remains of the older house in the middle of the south side. The late 16th Century stone porch was taken down and re-erected at the east end of the modern front. It is of two storage, Ashley-faced and gabled (see photo).
The Bullens originally owned the the Old Manor House on the Street opposite the Church. It was purchased by Simeon Bullen who died, in 1822. In 1852 John Bullen, his son, was owner and in his will of that date left the western end of his three houses to his great nephew John Bullen Symes, who added Bullen to his name and became known as Colonel Bullen. Colonel Bullen sold it on 22nd January 1889 to Miss M.A. Miller when all the windows were latticed., Unfortunately Miss Miller had these removed. Colonel Bullen left Charmouth and purchased Catherston Manor, where he lived until his death. The eastern portion was owned by Colonel Bullen`s uncle Captain Charles Bullen R.N. who died in 1884.
Catherston is famous for its Stud which was started in 1949 by the late Lt Colonel and Mrs Jack Bullen. With five farms making up the 1000 acre estate, two of which were farmed by Colonel Bullen, it left plenty of grazing near the house, as well as Stonebarrow (now owned by The National Trust) overlooking Lyme Regis Bay, for the stud grazing and, with two dairy herds and sheep, it was ideal for cross grazing. their daughter, Jennie Loriston-Clarke took over the running of Catherston in 1966 and has just recently retired.
The original manor house was sold and divided into units in the 1960s.
Adjoining Charmouth, on the east side of the river is a farm called Newlands, anciently part of this Manor, but sold by Sir William Pole in 1590 to William Wadham of Catherstone. In 1599 it was sold by George Wadham to John Jeffery. He in turn sold it to Anthony Ellesden in 1649 from whose grandson of the same name it passed to the Henvills, and in 1790 it was held by Mr. Coade of Lyme Regis. Stonebarrow Manor, near Newlands Caravan Site, is no doubt the Manor House to Newlands.
The Wadhams of Catherstone were cousins of another branch of the family based at Merrifield in Somerset with another estate in Branscombe, Devon who are famous today as founders of Wadham College in Oxford. There is a link with Charmouth as the Village had Sir William Petre as Lord of the Manor from 1564 until his death in 1572. It was his daughter, Dorothy who bought much of her fathers wealth into her marriage with Nicholas Wadham. His estates were worth three thousand pounds a year in the currency of the period, and out of this income he saved fourteen thousand pounds, which he determined to spend on charitable purposes, having no children, and his inherited property devolving on his nephews, Sir John Strangways and Sir William Wyndham , father of Wadham Wyndham .His plans for a College were at once taken up by his widow, Dorothy . She had enough money (£19,200 from her husband and an additional £7270 of her own) and were used in the building and endowing of the College which was opened in 1613.Dorothy Wadham died at Edge on 16 May 1618, and was buried with her husband in Ilminster church, where she is commemorated by a brass and monumental inscription. Her portrait, painted, like that of her husband, in 1595, hangs in the warden's lodgings at Wadham College. On the front of the College today can be seen statues of both Dorothy and Nicholas Wadham set high above the entrance.

Colonel Bullen walking with a crowd down the Street in Charmouth near the George, c.1910
 

Catherstone Manor Estate

Lot

No.

Colour on Plan Description

Tenant

Apportioned Rent Area Remarks

I

Green

. . . Befferlands Farm and Cottage . . .

 

Hand .........

...

. ___ .

147.953

2

Yellow ...

. . . Berne Farm

 

F. A. Legge ......

£308

0

0

122.500

3

Pink

. . . Catherston Manor and Grounds

 

In Hand .........

8.460

4

Blue

... Manor Farm .........

 

R. Loosemore ......

£700

0

0

274.810 Pt. In Hand

 

Hand .........

5

Pink

... Pasture Field

 

R.Loosemore ...

£35

0

0

7.520

6

Yellow ...

... Stable Flats .........

 

R.Mathews ......

£117

0

0

 

In hand .........

2.825 Pt. In Hand

 

E. Hodge

£80

0

0

7

Pink

... Accommodation Land ......

 

In Hand .........

17.195

8

Brown . . .

... Garden Cottage, East ......

 

In Hand .........

.110

9

Green

... Garden Cottage, West ......

 

In Hand .........

.105

10

Green

. . . Stables and Kitchen Garden

 

In Hand .........

1.980

11

Green

. . . Accommodation Paddock

 

In Hand .........

3.193

12

Brown . . .

. . . Accommodation Land

 

In Hand .........

11.694

13

Brown . . .

. . . Bungalow, Catherston

 

In Hand .........

� .

.100

14

Blue

... Orchard Land .........

 

In Hand .........

.760

15

Yellow ...

... Pasture Field .........

 

R.Loosemore ...

£30

0

0

10.198

16

Yellow ...

... Cottage, Bellair .........

 

In Hand .........

.671

17

Pink

. . . Accommodation Land

 

In Hand .........

2.385

18

Green

. . . Accommodation Land ......

 

In Hand ......

 

R. Loosemore

£24

0

0

21.794

19

Pink

. . . Coastal Land .........

 

R. Loosemore ......

£15

0

0

15.540

20

Yellow ...

... Potential Smallholding ......

 

In Hand .........

. �

30.855

21

Brown . . .

... Accommodation Land ......

 

In Hand .........

49.145

22

Pink

... Accommodation Land

 

In Hand .........

24.347

23

Blue

. . . Accommodation Land ......

 

In Hand .........

� .

46.225

24

Green

. . . Accommodation Land ......

 

In Hand .........

47.336

25

Yellow ...

. . . Accommodation Land

 

In Hand .........

35.705

26

Brown . . .

. . . Accommodation Land

 

In Hand .........

40.756

27

Pink

... Building Site No. 1 ......

 

R.Loosemore ......

£2

0

0

1.000

28

Pink

... Building Site No. 2 ......

 

R.Loosemore ...

£2

0

0

1.000

29

Green . . .

... Building Site No. 3 ......

 

R.Loosemore ...

£2

0

0

1.000

30

Blue

... Radio Location Site ......

 

£15

0

0

.250

31

Pink

. . . Rose Cottage .........

 

In Hand .........

.120

32

Yellow ...

... No. 1, Catherston Cottages

 

In Hand .........

.145

33

Yellow ...

... No. 3, Catherston Cottages

 

In Hand ...... � ...

.110

34

Pink

... Toll Cottage .........

 

W.J. Smith ......

£15

0

0

.080

35

Green

... Potential Building Plot ......

 

In Hand .........

.669

36

Prime Coppice .........

 

In Hand .........

41.069

37

Garden Plot .........

 

In Hand .........

�250

 

 

Totals

 

£1,345

0

0

969.855

 
 
 

1781 Land Tax for Catherston

1798 Land Tax for Catherston

1841 Tithe Map of Catherston

Catherston Lewston, is a small parish containing 242a. 2r. 24p., chiefly situated on the decline of a hill to the north-east of Charmouth. village is hardly worthy of that name, as it is only a small group of buildings, coming the mansion-house, church, a dairy-house cottage, but there are a few cottages in the lower part of the parish which form a portion of village of Charmouth, from which place Catherston is distant only a short mile. : does not occur in Domesday Book, being perhaps included in some other parish. The family of the Paynes held this manor from the reign of Edward I. In 1316 Isabella le Payene was certified by the sheriff as holding Cardeston the hundred of Whitchurch. 18 Edw. II. John Payne held it of the heir of Ralph Gorges, by night's service. 20 Edw. III. John Payne held here half a knight's fee, which John Payne formerly held. Jane, daughter and heir of William Payne, brought it to her husband William, third son of Sir John Wadham of Merifield, Somerset. 1 Eliz. John Wadham held this manor. and that of Westport; John his son and heir 26 Eliz. John Wadham. held at his death manor and advowson of Catherston, and 100 acres of land in Whitchurch; the manor of Westport, clear yearly value 100s.; a messuage in Woton Fitzpain of Edmund Hardi.......as  of his manor of Wotton Eitzpain. His great-grandchild alienated it to Sir John Jefferey of Hampton, whose posterity enjoyed it in the reign James I. and were patrons here about 1618. 1645, John Jeffery, esq. a captain in the King's army, had his farm here, value, 1641, 100l per annum, sequestered. Feb. 12, 23 Car. I. 1647, the manor and farm of Catherston were conveyed by John Jeffery, esq. to Walter Yonge, esq. and Sir John Yonge, and the latter conveyed it, 16th Feb. 1669, to Richard Henville, esq. of Looke. Eeb. 1st, 1783, it was conveyed by Henville to William Drewe, esq. of New Inn, London; and Feb. 3rd, 1824, by John Rose Drewe and William Tucker (devisees under the will of William Drewe), to James Ross, esq. who bequeathed it by will to his nephew James Augustus Ross; and on the 27th Nov. 1848, the latter conveyed it to Robert Charles Hildyard, esq. Q.C. and M.P. for Whitehaven, since deceased, under whose will it passed to his son Robert Henry Hildyard, esq. attache to the British Embassy at Paris, and the present owner (1864). Abstract from Hutchins History of Dorset

1788 Land Tax for Catherston with William Drew as major landowner.
 
 
Catherston Land Tax for 1811 showing William Drewe as the major Land Owner and Richard Knight second.