Fernhill
Scroll down to find out more
Click on Charmouth Home to return back.

This house was built in 1837 by Mr. R .S. Marker. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the site, which consisted of about 3 acres, enclosed by Edward Mabell, was owned by several people, among whom was Samuel Burrow - a Blacksmith - who purchased it for £64. In 1760 he sold it, with other properties in Charmouth, for £400 to Walter Oke of Axmouth. It passed eventually to Sept Smith who sold it to R .S. Marker, when it was called Farr's Orchard. (Farr was son-in-law of Samuel Burrow).There was a quit rent of 6d payable annually to the Lord of the Manor, and a right of way or passage across the land was claimed by the Rev. Brian Combe, curate in charge of the parish. Mr. and Mrs Marker derived so much benefit to their health by living there that at their death they left it to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to form a trust for some local charity. The rent was to be applied annually in supplying blankets and clothing to the old and infirm poor, who were not in receipt of parochial benefit, and was called "The Poor or Marker Charity". The trustees readily secured suitable tenants. At one time it was occupied by Miss Marryat, sister of Capt. Marryat the novelist, who had a girls school; one of her pupils being Ann Besant. She let the house to Mr. James Harrison and his wife in about 1851. Mr Harrison, although suffering from ill health, was a collector of fossils and is famous for his discovery of the earliest British dinosaur, which was named after him by Sir Richard Owen, Scelidosaurus harrisoni. From Fernhill he moved to No. 3 Hillside, Charmouth, where he died in 1864.
A later tenant was Sir Campbell Munro, who built the nursery wing. He was followed by General Eliot, who offered to buy the house for £750. During the latter part of the century the house fell into great disrepair and the trustees, Capt. Bullen and Dr.Norris, were anxious to sell But the Charity Commissioners refused to allow this, as they did not regard £750 an advantageous transaction for the Charity. The last tenant was Sir Lionel Smith Gordon, and when he left the trustees were allowed to sell for a smaller sum to a purchaser, who resold it a few weeks later, to Mr, Kennedy, making a profit of £300.The sanitation was primitive and the kitchen chimney ran horizontally the full length of the house and was cleaned by a cannon ball Mr, Kennedy spent a great deal in bringing the house up to the most modern requirements, The right of way through the property was exchanged for a portion of the field adjacent to Langmoor by the owner of that property. Mrs. Kennedy left in 1950 and the house became a hotel. The houses opposite are in Monkton Wyld parish.