Langmoor Manor
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
Langmoor Manor c.1870
The 1810 Ordnance Survey for Charmouth showing Langmoor to the north west of the village and open fields to the south of the Street.
Sir Richard Spencer (1779- 1839)
Lady Ann Spencer (1793-1855)
Ann Liddon Spencer as a young girl at Langmoor Moor
The Manor of Charmouth with it's Manorial Rights , and the Estates of Langmoor and Seaside Lands with 120 acres was auctioned on 27th of September, 1837 at the Coach and Horses in Charmouth. But it could not have met its reserve as the sale did not go through until 1854.
1789
1792
In 1797 John Dicken is shown as renting Langmoor from Elizabeth, widow of James Warden In 1830, James, eldest son of Anne Liddon was lost at sea on the ship John.

In 1853 the Manor of Charmouth and Langmoor Manor were auctioned in London and bought by George Frean from Plymouth. The Memorial to Captain Matthew Liddon in Charmouth Church

Langmoor stands well back and is hidden by trees and flowering shrubs. it is first mentioned in 1320 as Langesmeresgeth in the Cartulary of Forde Abbey, where it mentions the boundaries of the village defined by the Abbot, who owned the Manor, given to the Abbey by the Beauchamps.
In 1783 the manor of Charmouth was purchased from Francis Phipps Henvill by Lieutenat James warden R.N., and instead of living in the Manor House in the village, he went to live at Langmoor.
James Warden was in 19 engagements against the french fleet and was a gentleman of uncertain temper. He quarrelled with his son, whom he disinherited, and in his will left the Estate to his wife and upon her decease, upon trust, out of the rents and profits they were to pay to his son, William Weeks Wharton, £20 a year during his life by 4 evenly quarterly payments. But in case he should at any time sell, dispose of, or make away with or borrow money upon the said annuity. thendeclared the bequest therof should be deemed void.The trust money was derived from Charmouth House property and other houses. At several Vestry Meetings he objected to certain rates. In 1789 he won an action against the Rev. Brian Combe and others for removing sand and seaweed from the beach, and finally he quarrelled with his neighbour, Norman Bond, to whom he was extremely abusive in charmouth Street and threatened to shoot his dogs. Bond told him that he was unaccustomed to abusive language and would not contend with him in that way. Warden answered he was ready to meet him in any way whatever and walked off. During the next few days Warden refused to apologise and fresh insults followed. which led to the fatal catastrophe which afterwards happened. the parties met on the morning of 28th April, 1792 at Hunters Lodge. The first shot fell to Warden, Bond having given the challenge, and the ball passed through Bond`s hat. Bond was a better marksman; immeditaely on his firing Warden being shot through the heart, was killed. The inquest was held at Axminster, but Bond was not immeidately arrested and escaped to Barbados and later returned. His age and when he died are not known.It is recorded on his tomb in the chuirchyard that Mrs. Warden, after lingering upwards of 6 yeasr, died on 11th June 1798, wasting with pining sickness, it might be supposed that she died broken hearted. However there is a letter froma Mr John palmer to Mr Mellor, attorney-at-law, in which he says that Mrs warden welcomed and even courted her widowhood. She chose the pistopls, thanked the gentleman who had lent him them and made no effort to prevent the duel, although she lived close to a magistrate. In short she seemed determined that one of thjem should fall. If Mr. Bond. that her husband must be hanged, and if the latter, she was fairly rid of him.
On the death of Mrs Warden the property passed to her daughter, who married captain Matthew Liddon, R.N. They appear to have been badly off, as the properrty was mortgaged to raise money for the educationof the children, and the house was occupied by Mrs. Austin. The last Liddon to live there was Matthew, who died in 1864, when the Manor was sold to John Hawkshaw, the famous Engineer, who sold it to John J. Coulton in 1871, neither of whom appear to have lived there.
later owner was James Moley, " the hansomest man in Dorset", black-haired, tall and strong. Who had been educated with Dr. Liddon at Robert`s school in Lyme. He was a great collector of ferns and would walk miles after fresh specimens baut towards the end of his life he became a recluse and never was seen outside the grounds. his bread was left by Coles outside the gates which were kept padlocked. The greenhouses were in a ruinous condition when he died in 1910 and ferns were growing up through the floor of the drawing room. He left £400 to Lyme Regis as he considered that Charmouth had not appreciated him. Langmore Gardens in Lyme were laid out with the proceeds.