home
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
Little Lodge, formerly known as Yandover
 
27 th April 1789 -Salisbury and Winchester Journal - Advert for House
1794 Sun Insurance Policy for Little Lodge, then owned by Jacob Ridley Kitt, a Sail Cloth Maker.
1790 Sun Insurance Policy for Little Lodge, then owned by Jacob Ridley Kitt, a Sail Cloth Maker.
1841 Tithe Map showing Little Lodge in the centre
1890 Map
1901 Map
1929 Map
Photograph dated 1927 of buildings fronting the Street
Photograph c.1870
Photograph c.1890
Photograph c.1920
Photograph in 2010
Photograph of Little Lodge on the left with a bike in the door way of the shop in 1880
Close up of Little Lodge on the left with a bike in the door way of the shop in 1880
Photograph c.1890 showing conservatory between Little Lodge and the Limes
 
 
 
Little Lodge can be seen on the left of this photograph. c.1900
Little Lodge can be seen on the left of this photograph. c.1900
A photograph of the Whittington sisters in front of the gates to Little Lodge. c.1900
A photograph of the rear of the buildings. c.1900
Charmouth Lodge today
1830 Pigots Directory shows Thomas Bidwell running a school from Charmouth Lodge.
20th July 1837
 
 
The 1839 Pigots Directory shows Charles Denning a Linen and Woollen Draper at Little Lodge and Miss Bidwell running a Ladies Academy from Charmouth Lodge.
1841 Census shows Charles Frost, aged 40 living at Little Lodge with his children, Caroline(15) William(15), Herbert (13) and Julia (10). Charles was renting Little Lodge and running a drapers from it. In 1846 he appears on the list of voters as renting a house and shop. The owner at this time is George Biddlecombe.
Thomas Bidwell,aged 72 is living with Martha Berry (50) a Foot Servant, at Charmouth Lodge. He was formerly the owner of "The Fountain Inn" at the corner of Higher Sea Lane, now called "Charmouth House".
Charles Frost was born in Collompton, Devon in 1798 and married Mary Platt in Chard in 1820. They had a son, Adolphus, born in 1827 in Chard, Somerset, who lived iunbtil 1884, and a daughter, Delia also born in Chard in 1829. He was described as a Shoe maker
Charles Frost appears as a Boot and Shoe Maker on the Jury Lists for Charmouth from 1842 until 1852.
The Jury List for Charmouth in 1852 shows Charles Frost as a Boot and Shoe maker and John carter in the building which is Charmouth Stores (Nisa) as a Grocer.
 
This 1855 Directory shows John Frost as a Boot maker at Little Lodge,with the Poulson Sisters renting Charmouth Lodge, Edward Smith at the Star Inn and John Carter as a Grocer and Post master at Charmouth Stores.
In 1851 Charles Frost is still living at Little Lodge and Elizabeth Poulson is renting next door at Charmouth Lodge.
1861 Census shows Samuel Ryall, aged 41, described as a Grocer and Draper renting Little Lodge. He is living with his wife Elizabeth, aged 33 and have a 7 month old daughter, Rebecca.
1871 Census shows Rev. Thomas Montiforie, Rector of Catherston, living at Charmouth Lodge, with 11 children. Samuel Biles, a Fly Proprietor, aged 51 may be renting Little Lodge.
The 1881 Census shows Thomas Montifiore living with his family at Charmouth Lodge. Thomas Brackhouse may be renting Little Lodge.
The 1891 Census shows George Pavey aged 57, a retired Surgeon living at Charmouth Lodge. Eliza Wild, a widow is living at the Cottage, which may be Little Lodge.
The 1901 Census shows Richard and Julia Whittington, living with their family at The Limes (Charmouth Lodge) and Little Lodge is shown as unoccupied in that year and John Lane running the Star Inn next to it.
The 1911 Census shows Reginald Luffman, aged 31, a Glove Manufacturer, married to Violet, aged 24 with a 1 year old son living at the Limes Lodge as it was known then.
1911 Census showing Julia Whittington, widow, living with her 5 children and 3 servants at Charmouth Lodge.
Year
Event
1572 Sir John Petre gives a 2000 year lease on Yendover (Little Lodge)
1588 William and John Edwards shown as Merchants.
1641 Protestation List for Charmouth shows Alexander Cornelius,
1701 assignment of lease for 400 years
1730 Thomas,son of William and Margaret Edwards baptised at Charmouth
1730 William Edwards marries Margaret Cornelius in Charmouth
1743 Jacob Kitt purchase of Little Lodge in 1743 from Sarah Clapcott & Agnes Hutchins
1754 Mary Hutchins alls Chappel of Charmouth. Hannah Newbery paying 2 3/4 poor rates
1767 Will of William Edwards leaves to wife, Margaret closes of 8 acre of land bought from hutchings. Five acres to son, Samuel Edwards, three acres to Stephen Edwards. Benedick Edwards,James Edwards, Thomas Edwards seven cider casks. His wife's fathers house to daughter, Dinah. He died in 1767
1767 William Edwards leaves to his wife life interest in the house that was her Fathers, Samuel Cornelius House. On her death it was to go to his daughter Dinah Edwards, who was to Marry Robert Crout in 1775.
1767 Gravestone in Church Yard showing he died aged 65. His wife Margaret died in 1784 aged 77
1773 29 November - Sherbourn newspaper at the 3 Criwns Thomas Edwards sale of Hutchins.
1780 Randalls Court Case regarding his paying too much rates. He refers to Mr. Thomas Edwards in respect of a dwelling house and orchard in his possession and Mrs. Hannah Newberry and occupier in respect to the 3 Crowns and a field thereto belonging in possession of her and her under tenant.
1783 85.Margaret Edwards House & Orchard (£3-10-0d) 0a 1p 29r
91.Thomas Edwards House & Orchard (£3-0-0d) 0a 2p 28r
182. Mrs Hannah Newberry House & Garden (£2-0-0d) 24r
183. Mrs Hannah Newberry Church Yard Mead (£3-11-10d) 2a 34p
1785 William Kitt owns Yandovers and his brother rents it from him and lives in house which Ann Kitt eventually owns, on death of brother.
1793 William Kitt assignment of Land and Houses to Jacob Ridley Kitt
1793 Kitt growing Hemp at Yandover, also at Stonebarrow and Wood Farm
1809 Jacob Rydley Kitt borrows £500 from Richard Craze using his House, Coach House and workshops as security.
1813 Rents a house from Jacob Ridley Kitts.
1813 William, brother of Jacob Ridley Kitt leaves his niece Ann Kitt -£650. He was a lieutenant who died in Madeira.
1813 Richard, son of John and Honor Clemoes, Mail Coach Man
1814 William Stephens shown as Innholder at Mail Coach Inn, daughter appears at christening
1815 James and Stephen Atkinson buys Kitts former properties.
1816 William Stephens could be Star
1816 William Stephens purchases from Atkinsons a Coach House and Orchard. Probably the site of the Star, set back from road.
1816 Deeds show that William Stephens has just bought a Coach House and orchard. Ann Kitt has bought the house, now known as Little Lodge, where she would open a Grocers. Joseph Bradbeer is shown as having orchard to west and Atkinson have a house and old workshops to the east and rear.
1816 Assignment of Little Lodge to Ann Kitt by Stephen Atkinson/Thomas Hart/ Richard Roberts/Jacob Ridley Kitt
1817 William and Ann Stephens described as Mail Coach man at daughters christening
1818 Ann Kitt marries John White and sells shop to James Welsh, a sailor from Lyme Regis
1819 James Atkinson buys out partners and lives in new built house, which is now The Limes( Charmouth Lodge).
1820 William Stephens at 3 Crowns, called Coach & Horses,
1820 William, son of William Stephens dies aged 10
1822 Welsh sells Former Ann Kitts shop to William Stephens for £300
1826 Charles Baker renting shop from William Stephens, Watts renting Hansfords from Symes
1827 Fire at Mail Coach, destroys interior, Atkinson mentioned.(newspaper)
1829 William Stephens renting to Charles Cookney
1831 Stephen Atkinson on list of voters. William Stephens, at Axminster with property in Charmouth, Cookney tenant.
1830 Richard Craze transfers mortgage on Little Lodge to Eliza and Jemina Craze
1834 William Stephens sells Ann Kitts former shop to George Biddlcombe, He may of sold Star Inn at same time to Lydia
1839 Stephen Atkinson, Esq aged 69 was buried at Beaminster.
1839 Jacob Ridley Kitt Dies
1839 Susan Bidwell buys Charmouth Lodge from Stephen Atkinson. He dies in 1839, memorial in Beaminster Church.
1841 Francis Henry Waring owns Moores property at back and Pryer mentions him as previous owner of his house.
1841 Susan Bidwell sells 2 houses to W.Bidwell, H.H. Bidwell and R.E. Moore
1846 George Biddlecombe gives Little Lodge to Samuel Hitchcock
1846 Charles Cookney dies aged 71
1848 Daniel Hitchcock takes a mortgage for £400 from Mrs Elizabeth Edwards
1851 Edward Smith, Head,U,68 Beer Retailer,b.Stoke Abbot.William Gordge,lodger,39,Tailor.
Edward Lane,lodger,29,Butcher. Charles Moore,24, Gardener.
John Moore,65,Gardener,b.Uplyme. Elizabeth Moore,62.b.Chard.
Sarah Moore,26, Dress Maker.Elizabeth Moore,22, Dress Maker.George,20, Taylor.
Samuel Byles,39, Ostler or Post Boy. Elizabeth Byles,30.
Robert Wyld,57,u,Tailor employing 2 men.Robert Wild,32, nephew, Tailor.
Susan Wild,32, Charles Wild,2.Lucy,2 months.
John Carter,47,Post Master.b. Colston.Wilmet Carter,40, b.Symondsbury.
John W. Carter,4. Frederick, 4. Alfred Carter,1. Ellen Brake,19,House Servant.
Giles Pryer,42, Mason and Plasterer employing 2 men.Selina Pryer,29.
Harry W. Pryer,4.Emma Pryer,5.Edwin,4,Jane,3.
1866 Robert Edward Moore/Susan Penkvill(nee`Bidwell) sells 2 Houses (Charmouth Lodge) to Thomas Law Montifiore
1870 Thomas Law Montifiore buys Little Lodge from John Brown/Walter James Tucker
1870 John Caldecott/Benjamin Rogers buy Little Lodge from Montifiore
1876 John Caldecott/Benjamin Rogers take out a mortgage for Little Lodge from Montifiore
1880 Rev. Thomas Montefiore redeems Little Lodge from Caldecott/Rogers
1905 Rev. Thomas Montefiore takes out mortgage on property with Mrs.C.S. Macdonald
1908 Mrs C.S. Macdonald transfers Mortgage on house to H.J.Morgan/G.L.Francis

Indenture Tripartite 1743  between Sarah Clapcott of Dorchester, Spinster of the first part, Agnes Hutchins alias Chappel of Charmouth, Widow and Adminstrux of William Hutchins alias Chappel, late of Charmouth, yeoman, deceased of the second part and Jacob Kitt of Axminster, Cordwainer ( Shoe Maker) of the third part.
Whereas the said William Hutchins alias Chappel being by Bertie of two several indentures of lease and diverse assignments possessed of one Messuage or dwelling house in which he lately dwelt in Charmouth for the residue of 2,000 years commenced on the 14th October in 17th year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth (1572) and in 2 closes - one of them called by the name of the " Little Mead" and the other the "Moore" containing by estimation about 8 acres and a parcel of land, meadow and pasture called " Netherways" in the parish of Whitchurch Canonicorum late in occupation and possession of the said William Hutchins alias Chappel for the residue of a like term of 2.000 years which commenced on the 15th October in the 17th year aforesaid. Did by his indenture of mortgage bearing date 29th April in 6th year of the reign of Queen Anne ( 1708) for the consideration unto Henry Samways, then of Beaminster, gentleman, since deceased his executors the said Messuages, closes and premises for a payment of £48 15 shillings on 28th October next. The said Henry Samways has since died having made his will, with Joan Samways, his mother as sole Executrix, who has since proved the Will  of 21st January in the 4th year of the the reign of GeorgeI (1718) between the said Joan Samways of the 1st part and Giles Merefield of Beaminster aforesaid squire on the second part and the said William Hutchins alias Chappel of the third part for the consideration therin mentioned did let unto Giles Meresfield of Beaminster did sell unto Bridget Harwood , then of Blamohayne in the parish of Coliton, Devon, single woman all that Messuage, garden and orchard in Charmouth aforesaid Åland also 2 closes called the Moore and Little Mead for the term of 1000 years for the payment if £40 on the 2nd October next. Whereas the Bridget Harwood afterwards married Edward Ford , late of Honiton, Doctor of Physick who died without disposing
Sarah Clapcott payment of £77
And whereas the said Agnes Hutchins alias Chappel since her husbands death hath sold 2 closes to William Edwards of charmouth who has paid unto the said Clapcott the said Agnes Chappel hath contracted to said Jacob Kitt for the absolute sale of the said Dwelling House.
Click on link to get to original indenture:1743 Deed

An Inventory for Mary Hutchins als Chappel for her house at Charmouth in 1700
 
 
Mary Hutchins 1754

1 Joan Chapple alias Hutchins of Charmouth, spinster 2 Edward Edwards of Lyme Regis, merchant Abraham Podger of Whitchurch, yeoman
Recites that the property was leased to Richard Piers by John Petre in 1575 for a term of 2000 years. The property has since passed to the hands of Andrew Lymbry who mortgaged it to William Lymbry in 1665 for a sum of £120.Andrew Lymbury defaulted on payment and has therefore forfeited his estate in the property. William Lymbry died in 1674 leaving 1 as his executrix 1 to 2 in trust Property: Mans Tenement comprising 4 dwelling houses, 2 of which were burnt by 1665, Mans Mead (2a) and Mans Common (1a) in Charmouth 22 Dec 1674 D1265/2/2 Conveyance
2. 1 James Parson of Charmouth, yeoman 2 Henry Henley of Leigh
Recites that Andrew Lymbry of Bradpole mortgaged the property to William Lymbry in 1662. Andrew Lymbry has since defaulted in payment and therefore forfeited his estate in the property. William Lymbry died in 1674, leaving the property to Joan Chapple alias Hutchins who has since married 1,1 to 2 Consideration: £10 Term: 900 years Rent: 1d pa
Property: an orchard in Charmouth (¼ a) 8 Dec 1676 D1265/2/3 Lease


In the Name of God Amen - I William Edwards of the Parish of Charmouth in the County of Dorset, Common Carrier being in good bodily health and of sound disposing mind and memory do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following, first and principally I commit my soul and the hands of God who .. It my body .. to be recently Buried at the discretion of my Executrix herein after named. As to my worldly goods I give and dispose of in the manner following. First I give and devise to my dear and loving wife, Margaret Edwards, all those two Closes and Fields which were Hutchings containing 8 acres be the same more or less and also those two other fields I bought and purchased of Mrs Ffloyer containing 8 acres, be the same more or less, lying being in the Parish of Whitchurch Canonicorum in the County of Dorset aforesaid for her natural life only and after her death I give to my son Samuel Edwards the Close part of Hutchings which is 5 acres with a proviso herin after mentioned. I give to my son, Stephen Edwards the... Close part of Hutchings which is 3 acres. Provided my son, Samuel Edwards should die unmarried, then I give the Close part of Hutchings which is 5 acres to my son, Stephen Edwards and if my son Stephen should die unmarried.
On the 4th May 1767 This Will of William Edwards deceased was proved by the oath of Margaret Edwards, the Widow of the said deceased.

Tthe deeds show that:
“in 1816 Stephen Atkinson, merchant of Cheddington, Thomas Hart, grocer of Bridport. Richard F. Roberts, Yarn Manufacturer of Burton Bradstock and Mrs Jacob Kitt provide Ann Kitt, with a house”.
This is now the site of “Little Lodge” that adjoins Charmouth House (The Limes). She was only there briefly, but appears to have run a General Store. There are 2 references to this. The first is a billhead dated 1816 with a receipt for buttons, cotton and a hat to the Overseers of the Poor. The second a small guide to Lyme Regis in the same year, where she is listed as “Kitts” in Charmouth - where copies of the book could be bought . This must have been the forerunner of Charmouth Stores (Nisa) that now occupies the building on the opposite side of the alleyway.
Ann is aged 27 when she marries John White who is also a shopkeeper from Ilminster. They then sell the premises to James Welsh a Mariner from Lyme Regis just 2 years later. He is later described as a Grocer and in due course in 1822 sells it to William Stephens, who also owns a neighbouring property for £390. William then leases the shop to Charles Cookney, described as a Linen draper in an 1830 Pigots Directory for Charmouth. But by 1834 William has moved to Exeter and sells it on to George Biddlecombe of Winsham, Somerset who is also a Linen draper, for £425. In 1837 his nephew Samuel Aplin rents it for £26 per annum from his uncle and opens a general store, of which billheads have survived. It is short lived and the business is advertised in the local newspaper on 7 April 1837 as follows:
“To Drapers, Grocers, Ironmongers, and General Shopkeepers. To be let, with immediate possession, in the populous village of Charmouth, Dorset, - A good, extensive shop, warehouse, and dwelling house adjoining, lately in the occupation of Samuel Aplin, where a considerable trade has been done, and susceptible of great improvement, Rent moderate. Apply (if by letter, post paid) to George Biddlecombe, Winsham, near Chard. " 
A George Denning takes on the lease but by 1841 the Tithe map and census shows Charles Frost, a Draper renting the shop. George Biddlecombe dies in 1846 and leaves it to Daniel Hitchcock, who managed his other shop in Winsham for over 20 years. But by 1848 he is in financial difficulties and mortgages the property with a Mrs Edwards of Winsham, for £400. But he is soon unable to pay the interest and she forecloses on him, but when she dies in 1856 her executors are Brown and Tucker. The 1851 Census shows Samuel Byles, described as an Ostler aged 52, renting the property.
The devastating fire of 1864 reveals that this property was only just prevented from being destroyed by removal of the thatched roof. In 1870 they sell to Rev Montefiore, the owner of the adjoining property (The Limes) for £325 “ the messauge, shop and garden” . It is detailed as being used by the National School and in part occupied by Henry William Pryer and namely the property with frontage of 41 feet and garden behind with depth of 66 feet. The School is only there briefly whilst a new building is erected on their site in Lower Sea Lane. The neighbour and owner Rev. Montiefore appears twice in the School Log Book (now kept in the Dorchester Record Office), complaining about the excess noise of the children and there is also a reference to the building being a former shop. Reginald Pavey notes that the premises were burnt down in the middle of the 19 th Century and the present building was built on the site. When the Whittington's later purchased the adjoining “Limes” they were to run a private school from here for many years, and there are still villagers who remember going to the school when they were young.
The Limes (Charmouth Lodge)
Returning to the building we know today as “Charmouth Lodge”, but formerly “The Limes”, after the row of trees that fronted the Street.. The deeds to this property record it being two houses in 1793. But after its purchase by James and Stephen Atkinson in 1816 considerable expansion on the site is shown when it is assigned to Stephen three years later. It is described as:
All that dwelling house, formerly 2 houses. With a newly erected warehouse and plot of ground behind the same and also a workshop standing on the plot and adjoining the wall which separated the same from the close or meadow, afterwards described, and all the warehouse etc to be abutted and bounded on north by the wall which separate the same from the close. On the east by a road leading to Wootton on the south by the street and on the west by messuage belonging to Ann Kitt. And by a wall which separates the plot from the garden of Ann Kitt. Also all the range of old buildings parallel with the northern end of the garden of Ann Kitt and the garden of William Stephens , Inn Holder and extending from the northern end of the wall which separates the plot form Ann's Garden up to the piling adjoining the garden of Joseph Bradbeer and which said range of buildings contained in length from east to west and also that meadow containing about 3 roads abutted and bounded on the north by land belonging to the Rev. Brian Combe. on the east by road leading to Wootton on the east by a wall which separates the close form the plot of ground by the range of old buildings and on he west by the orchard of Joseph Bradbeer”.
A later deed dated 7th August 1819 reveals that the house with Warehouse and workshop were pulled down and on the site have erected 2 new houses. Stephen Atkinson dies in 1839 and a marble memorial to him can be seen in Beaminster Church. In the same year, Susan Bidwell buys the house for £1200 with a garden of about 3 roods. She is the daughter of Thomas Bidwell who for many years owns The Fountain Inn (Charmouth House). Susan is shown in directories of the time as running a boarding school from the house, but later marries William Jones Penkivil.
In 1866 the Rev. Thomas L Montefiore, Rector of Catherstone, and the Misses Poulson occupied the 2 houses. Later T.L.Montefiore became owner and joined them. Remains of a former archway can still be seen by the dining room window. A coach house abutting the Street and stables were built and also a conservatory above the kitchen entrance. Early in the 1880s, the historian, Reginald Pavey's family occupied the house until 1892 when they left Charmouth, and Alfred Haggard and family became tenants. They left in 1900 when Canon Whittington and family came to live there. There have not been many changes since. The coach house and conservatory were removed and the back entrance and front garden slightly altered. The Misses Whittington were descended in a direct line from William de Whittington of the County of Warwick, who died in 1283. Sir Richard Whytington Knight (Dick) was also descended from William.
William Chapel als. Hutchins died in Charmouth in 1742, Mary died in 1754
Indenture 1676 between James Parsons of Charmouth yeoman and Henry Henley of Leigh in Somerset , esq. whereas Andrew Lymbry of Braole yeoman, 14th year of Charles11 did grant no William Lymbry of Harmouth yeoman, deceased all that Orcahrd in Charmouth containing 1/4 acre bounded by orchard of John Bowditch on the west and William Ellesden on the North, the orchard of the said William Lymbry on the east and a wall of the said andrew Lymbry in the south part. Late on the tenure of William Lymbry in 1669 for 1000 years for 1 penny.did give the same not Joan Hutchinsalias Chappell his granddaughter  who is now the wife of the said James Parsons
1564
1544 visitation of Edward VI commissioners names  Thomas Best, John Limbery, William Lymbery as being people of importance in the village
1575 Edward Limbey owned property on south side of village
14th October 1575 deed refers to property in possession of Ewdard Lymbuey , grandfather of Edwrad Lymbety of. Lyme Regis, Mariner.
And John Petre of Writtle
All that Messuage cottage or tenement lying between a. Cottage then in the tenure of William Rockey on the west side, another cottage then in the tenure of William Bset on the east side and the Queens highway on the north side. It consists of Barnes, Stables, Edifices, and meadows, pastures, common ways, paths, woods, under woods, easements, etc.
William Best and Edward Lymbury in 1575 were apparently living in Charmouth somewhere on the south side of the Queens highway.
Last abbot was Tybbes, Chard an alias Tybbes may have been maiden name of his mother. Thomas Chard was born at Tracey's Hays in parish of Awlescombe, near Hiniton in 1470. In 1520 succeeded to the Abbacy of Forde. In 1529 he became vicar of Thorncombe. He died in 1544
Lymbry
1544 visitation commissioners name John, William Limbry being people of importance.
In 1574 Edward Lymbry purchases a number of properties , including The Elms(Manns) , charmouth House (Fountain) from Sir John Petre. There is an annual rent of £40 peramnum for these. He leaves to his son Edward. Edward has 2 sons- William and Andrew. They dispute the will and there are a number of court cases as a result.
Edward Limbry of Lyme Regis grandson.
1636 Brabara Lymbry, widow v Edward Lymbry
1654 John Lush married Joan Lymbry 1654
1588 Edward and William Lymbry assess for Queens ship
1649 William Lymbry assigns a moiety of a messuage and lands to Edwrad Edwards.
1651 he assigned a close in charmouth to his brother.
Joan Chappell is heiress of andrew Limbry whose brother was William who he gave a mortgage of £120 to but defaulted on. She sells elms in 1674 to Edward Edaards of Lyme Regis merchant.
In 1682 there is a court case with Andrew Limbry and Edward  Edwards over a tenement called Yendover
Edward diss n 1685 and leaves property to his son John whose grand daughter Elizabeth who married Thomas Napier of Tintinhill in Somerset. In 1741  John Napper gives a 14 year lease  on Yandover to John Keevh, Fellmongrr of Charmouth.
Sell to Burridges
Edward Mabell mentions Neithewoods meadow
Lymbry
1544 visitation commissioners name John, William Limbry being people of importance.
In 1574 Edward Lymbry purchases a number of properties , including The Elms(Manns) , charmouth House (Fountain) from Sir John Petre. There is an annual rent of £40 peramnum for these. He leaves to his son Edward. Edward has 2 sons- William and Andrew. They dispute the will and there are a number of court cases as a result.
Edward Limbry of Lyme Regis grandson.
1636 Brabara Lymbry, widow v Edward Lymbry
1654 John Lush married Joan Lymbry 1654
1588 Edward and William Lymbry assess for Queens ship
1649 William Lymbry assigns a moiety of a messuage and lands to Edwrad Edwards.
1651 he assigned a close in charmouth to his brother.
Joan Chappell is heiress of andrew Limbry whose brother was William who he gave a mortgage of £120 to but defaulted on. She sells elms in 1674 to Edward Edaards of Lyme Regis merchant.
In 1682 there is a court case with Andrew Limbry and Edward  Edwards over a tenement called Yendover
Edward diss n 1685 and leaves property to his son John whose grand daughter Elizabeth who married Thomas Napier of Tintinhill in Somerset. In 1741  John Napper gives a 14 year lease  on Yandover to John Keevh, Fellmongrr of Charmouth.
Sell to Burridges
The Limes or Charmouth Lodge
1743
Sarah Clapcott and Agnes Hutchings alias Chappell to Jacob Kitt, a sail maker. A house with workshop, garden and orchard.
1793
William Kitt and Jacob Ridley Kitt, son of Jacob Kitt, Shoemaker
1816
Assignment Stephen Atkinson, Thoams Hart, Richard Roberts and Jacob Kitt to Ann Kitt
Stephen Atkinson, merchant of Cheddingron, Thomas Hart, grocer of Bridport. richard F. Roberts Yarn Manufacturer of Burton Bradstock and Mrs Jacob Kitt to Ann Kitt all that messuage or tenement

1818
Assignment of premises for residue of 400 years to John White and wife to James Welch
James White was a shopkeeper of lichens yet who married Ann Kitt. James Welch described as a mariner
Description of propery in 1816
All that dew
Long house , formerly 2 houses. With. Newly erects warehouse and plot of ground behind the same and also a workshop standing on the plot and adjoining the wall which separated the same from the close or meadow , afterwards described, and all the warehouse etc to be abutted and bounded on north by the wallL which separate the same from the close.On the east by a road leading to Wootton on the south by the street and on the west by messuage belonging to Ann Kitt. And by a wall which separates the plot from the garden of Ann Kitt. Also all the range of old buildings parallel with the northern end of the garden of Ann Kitt and the garden of William Stephens , Inn Holderand extending from the northern end of the wall which separates the plot form Ann's Garden up to the piling adjoining the garden of Joseph Bradbeer and which said range of buildings contained in length from east to Weather and also that meadow containing about 3 roads abutted and bounced on the north by land belonging to the Rev. Brian Combe. on the easy by road
Easing to Wootton on the south by a wall which separates the close form the plot of ground by the range of old buildings and on he west by the orchard of Joseph Bradbeeer. All these premises are in the tenure of James and Stephen Atkinson or their tenants.and James Atkinson and Stephen have caused the house with Warrhouse and workshop to be pulled down and on the site hav erected 2 new houses.thses houses and gardens are bounced on the North by a wal
Which separates the same from a close of land. on the east by he road to Wootton . on the south by the Street and on the west by the messuage and garden lately belonging to Ann Kitt by now... Of Welch and Ann his wife. also all that range of old buildings standing parallel with the north end of the garden of Welch and of he garden of William Stephesm and extending from the Northern end of the wall which separates the garen of Qelch from he garden belonging to the western most of the newly erected messages up To the piling adjoining belonging to J. Bradbeer.
1819 Assignment James Atkinson to Stephen Atkinson
1822 assignment James Welch to William Stephens, late of Charmouth now of Axminster. James Welch is described as a Grocer. £300 now paid to Willima Stephens who buys he premises outright plus£90.
1834 Assignment William Stephens now of Exeter to George Biddlecombe of Winsham, Somerset, linen draper? He pays £425.
1839 Stephen Atkinson sells 2 houses
S premises to Susan  Bidwell for £1200. H Combe Compton owns lands at back. William stephens still has pub?
1846 Daniel Hitchcock draper and grocer had lived with and served George Bidwell for 20 years as assistant in the grocery and drapery business in Winsham, Somerset and in return fog faithful service George makes a gift of his property to Daniel.
1848 Daniel mortgages property for £400 to Mrs Edwards of
He is unable to pay interest and she claims it back, but dies in 1856 . The trustees sell to Rev. Montefiore for £325 the messuage,shop and garden etc opposite end of sea lane and partly used by the national school and in part occupied by Henry William Pryer and namely the property with frontage of 41 feet and garden behind with depth of 66feet.



1866 rev Montefiore buys limes




1822
Assignment James Welsh to William Stephens
1834
Assignment of a messuage William Stephens to George Biddlecombe.
1839 limited administration of the effects of Jacob Kitt deceased
Assignment of Dwellong house Stephen AtkinsonEsq. Died 1839 to Miss Susan Bidwell
1846 deed of gift George Biddlecombe to Daniell Hitchcock.
Charmouth house 2
The Charmouth Deeds of 1708 mentions another property purchased by Robert Burridge from Edward Lush of Chideock which in 1575 was in possession of Edward Lymbry ( grandfather of Edward Lymbry of Lyme Regis, Mariner) also John Petre of Writtle.
.. All that messuage, cottage or tenement lying between a cottage then in the tenure of William Rockey on the west side of another cottage then in the tenure of William Best on the East side and the queens highway on the north side. It consists of Barnes,Stables, edifices, lands, meadows, pastures, common ways, paths, woods, under woos, easements. It was conveyed to Arthur Lush, a shoemaker about 20Auguts 1691 and then to Robert Burridge, senior. It includes 2 closes of land containing about 4 acres.
Best. When Edward vi commisiknsers came. Thomas Best with John and William Lymbery were people of importance in 1544. William Best and Edward Lymbry in 1575 were apparently living in Charmouth somewhere on the south side of the Queens Highway.
The Limbry Family
1544. Visitation of Edward vi commissioners names John Limbery, William Limbery occur as being people in importance in the village.
1575 Edward Lymbry owned property on the south side of the Queens highway.
16.. Edward Limbry of Lyme Regis Mariner grandson.
1651 Dyephen Limbry tenant of William Ellesden owned boat which was to take Charles II to France.
1676 Death of Stephen Limbry in Register.
1830 Roberts mentions tomb of Mrs Stackey? daughter of John Limbry
1817 John Limbry was buried in Charmouth aged 88
1642 Stephen Limbry and William Limbry local trustees for lands called Cattlebury under Robert Salters Will
1654 John Lush married Joan Limbrie
1691 Hannah Limbery buried
1654 Gene Limbry daughter of Andrew Limbry

the deeds to the Well Head show that in 1758 samuel burrows sold it o Wlater Oke of Pinney, Devon to Matthew Palmer of Plymouth.

extract from Pullmans 1851
On Wednesday night a strong party of men advanced to the beach at Charmouth to run a cargo of Tubs, prepared no doubt to encounter opposition. Davis, one of the oteventitives statio. from Lyme, fired his pistol to give the alarm, when he was attacked and overpowered by numbers. His sword was broken into 4 pieces and after being jumped upon by some of he party, so as to endanger life, he was varied to low water mark, with the intention, as it is said, of causing his death by drowning on the rise of tide.  a man was next day arrested charged with being present, he was taken on Monday to Bidport for examination before a bench of County Magistatrs, but in consequence of he dangerous state in which Davis lies, he could not be moved, and the prisoner is again placed in Lyme gaol. Davis is the man who was beaten some time since by a similar party at the same place.
1846 Benjamin Diment House Cellar, Yard and Shop fountain Inn
Sale of Charmouth Housr (Bridport News) 7 march 1873
Mr Holly of the Coach and Horses Hotel has purchased the residence situated at the top of the village, known as Charmouth House, occupied some years agal by Squire Gordon, which the purchaser intends converting into a hotel. It is rather remarkable that the premises in by gone times was used for a similar purpose, the name of the hostelry  being he Fpuntain , we understand tha remnants of the ornaments a bunch of grapes which advertised the entrance 70 years ago are still hanging in one of the stables. As our readers ate well aware Mr Holly, whose fame as a landlord is widespread, has occupied the Oach and Horses for a very long period, which dates back far into the coaching days of old. The premises mine host has now purchased are very pleAsantly situated and exceedingly commodious. The cost of he property purchased by Mr Holly, which in addition to Charmouh House, consists of several cottages, and about 5 acres of land ( including Fontain Mead is £ 1560.
William Holly will be chiefly remembered by he present people of Charmouh as the lateostmaster and member of the Parish Council, but there ate a few who can remember him as a young man driving the Axminster horse omnibus. His grandfather, Gorge Holly, was landlord of he Old Coach and Hotses, when it was thatched inn and only moved o Charmouth House when the owners decided to rebuild When Sir Rider Haggard wrote She in 1886 it was said that he took the names of L. Horace Holly and Leo Vincey from Charmouth people. This may have been so, as Lronafed Vinces father kept the village stores.

extract from 1783 reference to map
freeholds continued Mr Benjamin Bradford
162 House and Orchard 2r8p
160 Ducks Mead 2a
164 Bolton Mead 2a
165 Orchard Close 3a
166 Foxley Orchard 1a
167 Stoney Close 3a
168 Great Foxley 3a
169 Little Mead 2a
170 Little Foxey 1a
Sunsets
171 The Fountain Inn House, Garden, Etc Mr Bidwell 1r13p
172 Fountain Mead Mr Bidwell 3a1p1r
gives a complete ovenersip on 1783 of village Sir John Pole still owns 35 acres.
Lawsuit Lymbery v Lymbery 1636
Barbara Lymbery , Widow v Edward Lymbery
pasture called Hernes Hill and tenement called Bag Wells in Charmouth Adjoining Cottages sometime in tenure of William Rockey and William Bessemer. Plaintiffs husband Edward Lymbery, deceased, had hold of the tenement and is said to have received as a legacy from his grandfather Edwrad Lymbery . Plaintiff was a daughter of Richrd Mitchell. The Deponsut Henry Lymbery was brother to the defendant. John Lymberry of Chamouth, gentleman,aged 69
Henry Lymbery Yeoman aged 60
henry Lush Husbandman 50
Dorchester Museum Libary.

Wills Henry Limbry of Charmouth yeoman 1639 Mother Margery L widow.
Lawsuit Lymbry v Norington 1639 Edward Lymbury had lived in Chamouth 20 years.
George inn mentions John Burridge  Robert Burridge lyme Regis merchant aged 46
Chancery case before 1714
Edward Limbry deceased had owned a messuage and lands in Charmouth and Whitchuch valued at £40 a year and left a son and heir Edward Limbry also deceased, who was father of the plaintiff William Limbry of Charmouth, yeoman decease, tye defendant Joanne Hutchens alias Chappell was daughter of the said William Limbry. The 2 brothers Sndrew and William Limbry had disputed conceding their fathers estate. quotes. lease 1575 lease from John Petre to Edward Limbry
1649 said William Limbry assigned a moiety of a messuage and lands to Edward Edwardes of Lyme Rgis ded 1651 a close inncahrmouth William of Charmouth , fisherman aged 48
page 48 references to Limbry.
A shoot is a a small conduit existed close to the manor Housr sending it's overflow by the roadside to the river. George Roberts mentions the boundaries extended up to the road to Lyme above Bodehorn in the west to a schoete ( the shoot) by the corner. could this shoot be the fountain.
Visitors to this quiet and tiny watering  place will find every accommodation at he 'Charmouth House", a board and lodging establishment. extract from South western RailwY coast guide
painting of mr and mrs Gordon drawn by A Burt Broadstares 1836
the original portraits hung in Mrs Tarrs Hall. her father was steward to Mr Thomas Gordon.
In 1796 higher sea lane was known as Rockets Lane. It les to the waste land and commons of the !anor of Charmouth on which William Lock, a labourer owned a cottage. Here and on a close of meadow called Thomas's Plott in 1801 John Lucy built Sea House with stab
es for 4 horses, coach house for 2 carriages and pig house for 2 pigs.
1805 Thomas Bidwell empty Fountain Inn
1806 Thomas Bidwell , Mr Harvey Fpuntain Inn and Field
1811 Bidwell, George Harvey 63/4 and 5
1813 Thomas Gordon Esq. Self House, Late Fountain Inn 9 1/2 and 51/2
1822 as before plus
ate webbers house and field 3
deeds to Gresham House
1801 agreement between Thomas Bidwell of Charlestock and Jhn Lucy for consideration og £15 to be paid by John Lucy .. of a hedge and plot of ground part of a field belonging to he Fountan Inn extending from the north enf of the court yard of Jh. Lucy 25 feet northward towards the Inn and extending from the west end against the seaside land 240 feet in depth eastward
deeds of fern hill
full su, of £320 1754 then Walter Oke should surrender to Sam burrow and whras the £320 was not paid to Walter Okw and Walter Oke since deceased and executor being his wife Frances Oke Frances died 1806. appointed John Shutr and Richard Toller.
1811 release of 2 closes and meadows by Wlater Okw Smother to Thomas Shute.
Edward burr a artist
Charmouth House Hotel a large thatched building at the summit of the Street and at the western end of the medieval new town. It is easy to see that it is actually 2 separate structures that have been incorporated into one. Both the originals probably date from the 13th and 17th century.
In an interesting note on the family of Stephen Limbry, mariner who was buried in Charmouth in 1676, the Charmouth historian writes: It is evident from various documents that the family of Lymberry, Lymbry or Limbrie was of some distinction in Charmouth during the 16th and 17th century. When Henry Fiji feared war with France every county town had to muster their available manpower, and among38 Cjamouh men who reported at Dorchester on september 28 and 29th 1542, were John and William Lymbery. who were armed with a harness each, I.e. a suit of armour, and Stphen Lymbery, who was an able archer owned both a harness and a bowe, ie 10 arrows. They wre better armed than the majority, thus showing that they were men of some standing. At the end of EdwardVI's reign in 1553, Commsiomers wre sent to each parish to take the cjaurch plate and left for  use at Charmouth one chalice and a silver parcel gilt. They were met by the principle peole of the parish, among whom wr John and Willliam Lymbery. Property belonging to Edward Lymbery during the ring of Queen Elizabethi lay between a cottage then in the tenure of William Rockey on the west side, and another cottage in the tenure of William Best, on the east side and the queens highway on the north side. It consisted of barns, stables, edifices, lands, meadows, etc. somewhere in the neighbourhood of the Fontain Inn.
Stephens name appease frequently in 17th century.As is well known, he was a tenant of William Ellesden, and owner of the vessel which was to have taken Chales II to France. He was a trustee of the Cattlebury Charity, and was with 4 other Lymberrys mentioned in the Dorset Protesttijn Retuns of 1641. They promised to defend and maintain the true Reformed Protestant religion against all Poperie and Popish Innovations. Another member was Edward, grandson of the owner of the propery mentioned above.
Constant mention of the family in lawsuits, wills and title deeds is found though out the 17h century, and he last record of Jon Lymbery in the church register, who was buried in 1817 aged 88.
The title to Lot 1 shall commence from 29th September 1811 between Charles Edwards of he 1st part, Thomas Bidwell of the 2nd part and Thomas Gordon of the 3rd part
Lot2 indenture dated 25 March 1854 between George Frean of the 1st part and the said Thomas Gordon of he 2nd part and the fev John CMpbell Fisher of the 3rd part against a certain annuity of £20 payable to William Wharton Warden during his life
The latter part of clause 7 of the conditions of sale James Warden was killed in a duel on the 28th April 1792. In his will dated 24th January 1792, he left his Esate in trust to his wife.And upon her decease upon trust out of the profits and rents wre to pay to his son William Weeks Wharton Warden £20 a year during his lifetime. The trust money was derived from Cjarmouh House property as shown in an indenture of January 1851... Messuage or tenement called streets tenement with the outhouses, orchards and gardens therunto adjoining containing by estimation about 1 acre Whitaker in Charmoitj and also that field or close called single common on the east side of Sea Sid Lane. Shen Charmouth House was sold in 1873 William Warden was still alive and would have been 97 years of age.
We are fortunate in that the Dorset Family Centre ( Randall v Parish Officers alleged unfairness in Poor Rates demand PE /CMO//OV2 1779- 1782) has a series of documents concerning an enquiry at Bridport on 3rd October 1780 relating to John Randall who appealed against the amount he was levied for the Poor Rate for his house and lands known as Yendovers. It cost the Churchwardens & Overseers of the Poor to the village £17-3-8d in legal expenses to fight it at the General Quarter Sessions of Dorset. John Randall was to appeal against the ammount in each of the following 2 years.
Yendovers consisted of a group of fields to the east of the river and a block of buildings and lands between the path at the side of the Old Manor and Barrs Lane on the Street in Charmouth. John Randall was the second husband of Mary Kitt who was previously married to Jacob Kitt. These would have included Charmouth Lodge,Nisa, Rupert House, Stanley House and the Star Inn with he block of land and buidings behind them.There are a number of papers covering the enquiry and from them I have extracted the data base below of the relevant information regarding the tenants and owners of properties in the village in tyhe year 1780. The Poor Rates, Highway Tax and Land Tax also exist for the same year. From this information and the refrence book for the 1783 Map of Charmouth we have a unique snapshot of the village in late Georgian England.
Below are a selection of photographs from the Whittingtons Photo Albums. Many of these are of Little Lodge and The Limes where they kept a school.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1939
1939
1939
1939
1940
1940
1940
1940
Jeremy John Bill 1939