Pear Close, The Street, Charmouth
Scroll down to find out more
Click on Charmouth Home to return back.
 
assigned to J. D.Hales for the residue of 2000 years granted by Indenture of lease 20th October 1656 between John Bragge and Ann his wife and John Sampson and by the same indenture a stable for many years past converted into a stable or carpenters shop.
 
 

1841

204
John CARTER
38
William BURNARD Carpenters Shop
-
-
4
205
John CARTER
38
Reverend John HALES Garden
-
-
17
206
John COLES
30
Reverend John HALES Field
1
2
20
1887
1901
1928
Pear Tree Close Today
Aerial View Today
From Reginald Paveys notes:
"
This was formerly H.W.Pryer's workshop and is probably the oldest shop in the village as it was owned by Bendicta Durston in 1771 and was let to Thomas Rickard at a yearly rental of 6d . Rickard I believe was Benedicta's steward. The rent was not claimed or paid for many years. If you stand at the corner of Lower Sea Lane and look down the village street it is difficult to recognise it as it was a century ago.
Harry Pryer used the shop when he had any monument to cut and it was a frequent sight to see him working there chisel and mallet in hand. If he was not working he had an iron gate which he could put across the opening. His builder's yard was in a corner of "Pear Close" which was a field bounded by a hedge on the side of the street, where there was no pavement, and by the Queen's Arms where there was an entrance gate. The yard was entered by a gate close to his workshop and on the south side was a long open shed, in which ladders and building material were kept, with an entrance leading into the field. His stones for monuments were cut in the centre of the yard. One winter the figurehead of a ship was washed up on the beach where it lay for some time until Pryer placed it in his yard. For many years this handsome figure of a lady looked over the street to admire Coles' new house "Sunny Side" . Unfortunately the figure head was allowed to leave the village after Pryer's death. A gentleman in America wrote a few months ago wanting a photograph and its present home. In or about 1931 the property was sold and four shops were built where the yard had been. The first to be built was a lock up shop by Bagshaw of Axminster which is now a Gift shop, then a hairdresser's shop was opened by Charlie Pewster, and Toy built a chemist's shop. Later bank premises were built by Lloyds Bank and in 1936 W.A.Gear built living accomodation adjoining the shop built by Bagshaw. Pryer's workshop was purchased by J.R. Bragg of Lyme Regis which was converted into a Grocer's shop".
162. (77) Minsons Common - Mrs Durston (£2-1-6d) 1a 1r 27p
195. Thomas Rickard Dwelling House
78.Leasehold for Lives, Mr Bragg's, Mr Richard garden Plot (£0-10-0d) 0a 0p 20r
79.Leasehold for Lives, Mr Bragg's, Hurles Croft, east of the Mill, (£3-1-4d) 1a 3p 27r
Rev. Brian Coombe`s Will of 1818 has the following reference to Pear Close
"the said Close of Meadow or pasture Ground now called Pear Close but lately know by the name of Edwards's Close containing 1 acre 2 roods 36 perches and being in Charmouth aforesaid and now in the occupation of William Burnard as tenant thereof".
1783 Thomas Rickard - Hurlescroft 1786 Land Tax shows Mrs Rickard as renting Hurlscroft from
1793 Land Tax shows Rev. rian Coombe as owning Edwards, the former name of Pear Close
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1812 Land Survey of village shows Rickards as owners of a number of properties in the village. They were formely Stewards to Mrs Durston, The Lady of the Manor and either bought or ingerited the properties and fields from her. Pear Close and the corner buildingis seen here as Garden and Carpenters shop 3/4d.
1829 Poor Rates
1830 Land Tax for Rickard.
1831 Poor Rates for Mrs Rickard
Early map showing how Pear Tree Close was subdivided in the past. The Workshop still stands in the walls of The Pharmacy

In or about 1931 the Pryers Stone Yard was sold and four shops were built where the yard had been. The first to be built was a lock up shop by Bagshaw of Axminster which is now a Gift shop, then a hairdresser's shop was opened by Charlie Pewster, and Toy built a chemist's shop. Later bank premises were built by Lloyds Bank and in 1936 U.A.Gear built living accomodation adjoining the shop built by Bagshaw. Pryer's workshop was purchased by J.R. Bragg of Lyme Regis which was converted into a Grocer's shop.