Peria
Click on image or on Home to return back.
The building to the left of Lutrell House was originally the workshop of Samuel Dunn who rented it from Robert Knight. Hazards 1st shop can be seen with its blind down. This was later rebuilt after a fire. After a second fire, Hazard gave up and the site of the shop is now a car park next to Perias.
The original Hazard Shop with a salesboard for Friths Photographs of local views
The photograph shows Robert Hazard on the left outside his shop which he ran as a general store and Ironmonger. In 1891 he suffered a disastrous fire and was only partially covered by his insurance.
The first Hazard Shop
The second Hazard Shop
 
 
 
 
 
Peria to the left of Lutrell House
R.H. Hazard Letterhead

East of 'The Court' in the early part of the nineteenth century Samuel Dunn occupied a house and workshop, owned by Robert Knight. Dunn built the cholera house in 1834 which cost £24. I have already mentioned in Part I that ho made a shower bath for Miss Haycock. I wish he had told us more about her and where she lived. However she kept bees as Dunn made a new patent hive for her. I gather the shower bath was a success as he also made one for Mrs. Hawtree, the cost of which was 3/-.Mr. Burnard, well known in the village in the 1830s and a great supporter of the chapel, apparently had an unpleasant smell in his house and on November 1st. 1834 Dunn had to take down cosings, whatever that was, and found a dead rat. His charge was 1/4 and 6d for nails and tax. Which I think he meant tacks. (What curious items you can find in a builder's Day Book). He did a great deal of work at Catherston for Mr. and Mrs. Rose, throwing Timber. He repainted the chapel in May of that year, and spent many hours in the church which was beginning to show signs, of decay. He was also an undertaker. His wife was Charlotte Jefford of Uplyme and they had a, daughter - Eliza - who married his carpenter William Hoare. You can't miss their tomb as you walk up the Street, it is against the wall by the stump of the tree outside ''The Elms". His workmen were many, amongst them were Andrew, Phillip, his brothers I presume, and his father, also William Hoare and Wheaton. Andrew lived in a house owned by Smith and Fellows in 1839- Hoare was a clever carpenter and made the model of the old church. He lived, if he did not build it, in "Portland Cottage" and was a great friend of Thomas Tarr. Dunn afterwards went to live in the Axminster Road, and his workshop was owned by John Alwood. His chief work was being clerk of the works when the church was being built.
Later the site of his old workshop was owned by R.H.Hazard, who kept an ironmonger's and grocer's shop. In about 1890 these premises were burnt down and rebuilt. Another fire destroyed his shop and has remained an open space eversince. 'Peria' as it is now called is owned "by Harry Whatmore.

In 1907 Elizabeth Whatmore married Arthur Hitchcock, a Gardener. She was then aged 61 and he just 35. The 1911 Census shows her as the Landlady of The Royal Oak. She was to die the following year and he to die in 1931 aged 56. The Royal Oak remains in the hands of the family with Arthur and Maria Hitchcock. The 1922 Rates Book show Mary Ann Hazzard as living at Peria, with the Hitchcocks at The Royal Oak. The following year they move into Peria. Francis Harry Whatmore Joins them at The Royal Oak. In 1924 Francis Whatmore moves in to Peria with the Hitchcocks. By 1933 Maria Hitchcock is widowed and living with her at Peria are John  and Lily Whatmore and Francis Harry.
In the Second World War Francis Harry serves in the forces and Lily remains at Peria. By 1952 the Electoral Roll shows John and Lily joined by Edward and Francis Whatmore living in Peria on Charmouth's Main Street
"Early on Sunday morning, a fire broke out in the house of Mr Hazard, shopkeeper, and resulted in the total destruction of the house and the contacts of the shop and storerooms and a large portion of the household furniture. About 5.30a.m. Mrs Hazard, noticed smoke in the bedroom, and on her husband going downstairs he found the shop was in flames. An alarm was raised, and with assistance, which was readily rendered, the contents of some of the front rooms were removed. At the time of the discovery the fire had a good hold on the building, but fortunately it was prevented from spreading to the house of Colonel Little and others in close proximity. Supt. Freeman, P.S. Sprackling, and P.C.'s Elliott, Batson, Hoddinott, and Gould were present, and rendered every assistance. The house was the Roberts of Mr Hazard, and with the contents, was only partially insured. The origin of the fire is unknown."   
20th February 1891