Rose Cottage , The Street

"Rose Cottage" is east of "Mill View ". One half faces south in which have lived in recent years; Genge - then Florey and later E.Spurdle and his family, who still live there. The other half faces north and was occupied early in the century by John Hodder, familiarly known as "Scutter". He kept a horse and cart in a shed, where the modern bungalow "Phantasy" has been built by Barney Hansford, and did all the hauling in the village. He later went and lived at the top of the village. In 1914 Rose Cottage was occupied by William Bowditch and he left and lived in the first of the Catherston Cottages . The parish boundary passes through this cottage and Bowditch died in 1946 in that part, which was in Catherston parish and was buried in Charmouth Cemetry, but Elliott who followed him in "Rose Cottage" was buried at Whitechurch Canonicorum, ao he had come from Morecombelake.