The Chapel, The Street
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.

Welman in his guide to Charmouth described the chapel as a neat building and the interior conveniently fitted up. It was redecorated in 1866 and the pews re­arranged so that .about thirty sittings were gained. The Rev.W.Axford. was minister at the time and travelled many miles and wrote numerous letters to friends in order to collect the money to pay for the alterations, which amounted to £128 - 10 - 4d. Owing to the absence of a damp course the walls were often in a bad condition. several times during this century money has been spent on restoration and painting. The Rev.H.E. Vickery - single handed relaid the whole floor both of the chapel and the school room in 1962. Before a harmonium was purchased music was supplied by a small orchestra in the gallery. VLH.Fryer and Robert Burridge (grandfather of Mrs.Farmer) played violins and Douglas Board the flute. (This was told me by Mrs.Farmer). In 1866 W.Axford brought his own harmonium which his daughter played and subsequently a new instrument costing £25 was purchased and placed in tho gallery. A small vestry was built between the chapel and the Queen's Arms and a school room on the south. The floor of this room began to give way in 1962 and revealed what may have "been a tunnel leading from the Queen's Arms to the wall behind the chapel pulpit.
Eleven ministers occupied the manse after Jeannes, the last being J.Ogle. The first marriage in the chapel was between Richard H.Gill and Charlotte O.Webster on 17th. August 1840. In July 1845 the vestry was fitted up for a schoolroom and Mrs. Cozens appointed teacher. How many pupils attended and how long it lasted "The Chapel Book of Records" does not say. Another attempt was made in 186.6 and the teacher was paid £12 a year and that is all that their 'Book of Records' has to inform us. Until 1844 it had been the custom to bury members of tho congregation beneath the seat they had occupied and a brass plate recording their natm. placed in tho pew. On 30th Hay 1844 it was agreed that no more burials should take place within the chapel, but Fanny Love was buried under her own seat on 20th, August as the resolution to the contrary had not been signed. The last burial in the chapel ground were Helen Hensleigh Harryat Hawker, who died in 1934 aged 62, and her mother aged 97 who died in 1944. During the 1939-45 war the schoolroom and vestry were used by the W.V.S for a canteen for troops.