In 1958 O.G.White,the lessee, received the following letter from the owners, Arnold and Hancock, The Brewery, Wiveliscombe. "We knew from our deeds that this house, under the sign of "The George Hotel" existed in the 17th. century, towards the end of which the occupier was Robert Shute. He was followed by Richard Darke. In 1703 the Inn was owned by John Burridge of Lyme Regis, who leased it to James Dober, a yeoman, 'late of Stratton and now of Dorchester" . The lease was for one thousand years for which James Dober paid £60 and a rent of 'one peny at the Feast of St.Michael the Archangel, only if the same be lawfully demanded'. He also undertook to pay 2d monthly, the proportion of the poor rate of 16d monthly charged to Burridge`s lands." In 1760 Walter Dice, a gentleman of Axmouth purchased "all that tenement or inn called "The George Inn" for the residue of 1000 years, which commenced 25 March 1703, from Samuel Burrow, with five other pieces of land for £400'.' (Two of these were "Fernhill" and "The Elms") Walter Oke died in 1763. In 1783 Francis Oke was owner when the Manor was sold by Francis Phipps Henvil to James Warden. "The 1825 Rates Book" records that John Love was owner and Robert Mills occupier: "in 1832 when the tunnel was opened a sumptous dinner was provided at the Inn of which a large and respectable party partook. The day was concluded with much hilarity and good humour. The Charmouth Band was in attendance during the evening" (Dorset County Chronicle). In 1846 William Vallins was among the list of Voters as Landlord, and in the following year Norman & Co. was assessed for Land Tax as owners. In 1858 the Inn was purchased and occupied by J.D.Wheadon, a Lyme butcher. A formal opening under his management took place. The Charmouth Band was again in attendance and a pleasant evening was spent.
In January 1954 the front of the Inn was replastered and a mullion window, east of the porch, was discovered and which had been bricked up. W.J.Mills was doing the work and he pointed out to me that the porch was built of brick and that it was evident that it was not part of the original Inn. In the days when coaches stopped there the room over the porch provided a waiting room for visitors. Also, since it was near the coast it was a convenient lookout for smugglers to spot the approach of excisemen or press gangs for the Navy. The window of this room which looks down the street is modern and does not appear in the early photographs. The fact that the Inn was known as "The George" long before the accession of King George1 that the land on which The George now stands "belonged to Forde Abbey suggests it was originally a monastic guest house (note by the owners Arnold & Hancock).
DD/AL 29/8 1753
The deeds for this Inn show that it existed under the blame of the George in the 17th century, towards the end of which the occupier was Robert Shute. he was followed by Richard Darke. In 1703 the Inn was owned by John Burridge of Lyme Regis, who leased it to James Dober, a yeoman , late of Stratton and now of Dorchester. The lease was for a 1000 years for which he had to pay £60 . He also undertook to pay 2d monthly , the proportion of the poor rate of 16d monthly charged to Burridge land. Burridge owned much property in the village including the Fountain ( Charmouth House) and the Rose and Crown ( The Star)
1753 the George owned by Samuel Burrow.
All that tenement or inn called the George Inn with all it's curtelage, orchard, etc. Samuel Burrow owns these with others including the Rose and Crown for securing £320 with Walter and John Oke, sons of Walter Oke, the elder of Pinney, Axmouth.
By 1760 Walter Oke has purchased all that Inn called The George Inn for the residue of 1000 years , which commenced 25th March 1703. he had bought 5 other pieces of land from Samuel Burrow for £400 including the Elms and Frenhill. Unfortunately he was not able to enjoy them for long as he died in 1763. His son Francis, was to inherit the properties the rentals for the village in 1783 show him as owner of the George Inn standing on an area of 2 foods, 12 perches. He also owned Langmoor Orchard of just over 2 acres ?
In 1761 john Dimont is the tenant.
in 1787 he is paying £1 3s 9d land tax and Samuel Gosling is his tenant.
The Land Tax for 1800 show that Thomas Morgan is the new owner of The George Inn paying 5s 6d tax on it. By 1810 Richard Hawkins is the landlord where he was to tables,outhouses, remain until 1822 when John Love buys it and Bushnole is shown as his tenant. The following year Robert Mills is the new Landlord. John Love is shown on the 1828 Jury List as. Butcher, and Robert Mills as an Inn Keeper.1832 Poor Rates show the same by
1838 advert in Dorset County Chronicle to be sold by Auction that Capital and well accustomed Inn r Tavern called the George Inm with messuage, a dwelling house, cottage, stables,outhouses,garden and orchard, behind the same occupied by Mr John Love.
1840 William Vallins is shown as the new owner, and is shown the following year in the census as aged 40 living with his wife Sarah, aged 32. In 1847 Norman & co. are listed as owners. In 1858 the Inn was purchased by J.D.Wheadon , a butcher from Lyme Regis. By 1874 the builder and Stone Mason- Harry Pryer is the new owner of the Inn.In 1885 James Phelps is shown as the landlord. The 1891 Census shows him aged 49 and his wife Merina and 4 children. It is interesting to see that the rates listing for 1895 show the hotel still standing on 2 acre 3 roods of land. It is still owned by the brewers Norman & co. James Phelps is renting an adjoining house also owns by the firm. They were based in Exeter and had been founded in 1845. When they were bought out by Whitbread in 1967 they had 168 tied houses. Arnold & Hancock had 262 outlets by 1955 when it was bought out by Ushers of Trowbridge. The records dating from1704 until 1944 can still be seen at the Wiltshire Record Office in Chippenham. In 1915 Sydney Rattenbury is listed in the directories as the Landlord.
1885 James Phelps George Inn
1753 assignment of 2 dwelling houses and several closes of ground in Charmouth or remainder of 2000 years for securing £320 and interest. Samuel Borrow to Nicholas Warren Esq, in trust for Walter Oke.
Between Walter Oke of Pinney, Axmouth, and John Oke , of Compyne gentleman , executors of the last will of Walter Oke, the elder of Pinney, their deceased father on the one part and Samuel Burrow of Charmouth , Blacksmith of the other part and Nicholas Warren of Mincombe in the parish of Sidburu in Devon of the third part. The said Samuel Burrow rightfully possessed of all that Teneemnet commonly known as Mans Tenemnt, consisting of a dwelling house, an orchard, 2 fields f meadow and one field of pasture in Charmouth late in the possession of Jmaes Parsons of the same place, yeoman, his tenants and now of Samuel Burrows for the residue of a term of 2000 years from 1575. Did mortgage in 1743 into the said Walter Oke, the elder all that said tenement by payment of £200 and interest . Now due £208 , in the consideration of £104 paid to them by the said Nicholas Warren ..All that one piece of ground formerly enclosed by Edward Mabell deceased containing by estimation 3 acres or therabouts and have for severall years been converted into an orchard lying at Langmoore and adjoining the lands formerly of John Burridge , esq.All that orchard commonly reputed a Burgae of one acre ground formerly in the tenure of one George Coming decease, since of William Comins and late of Clement Joyns. All that messuage, Tenement or Inn called or commonly known by the name of the George Inn with all the curtelage ,orchard, etc. All that messuage or dwelling house formerly called or known by the name of the Rose and Crown and the curtelage, backside, garden and orchard to te same belonging. And all thatdwellong house, garden and orchard hereunto belonging containing by estimation one acre or more thereabouts formerly in the possession of Mary Hodded, Widow afterwards of JohnMinsom, since of Ann Monson, his widow , then of Robert Monson and late of Willliam Walter Minwich. Premises are situate in Charmouth aforesaid and are now in the possession of Samual Burrows
Signed Walter Oke and Sam Burrows. Robert Cheek,Jmaes Trew. Daniel Furfs
Received of mr Ealter Oke the sum of £107 to be paid not me signed by Samuel Burrow.