Scroll down or click on Home to return back
Use Search engine below to fine more pages.


THE WEB CHARMOUTH SITE
The Star Inn
 
1841 Tithe Map with occupiers shown on their properties, below are their descriptions from the Record Book
Tithe no.
Owner
Occupier
Description
Roods
Perches
49
Painknell BIDWELL
Thomas BIDWELL
House & Garden
2
30
50
George BIDDLECOMBE
John FROST
House & Garden
-
13
51
Edward SMITH
Edward SMITH
House & Court
-
5
52
Benjamin SWAFFIELD
Lydia WATTS & another
Houses
-
4
53
John CARTER
John CARTER
House & Garden
-
14
54
Giles PRIOR
Giles PRIOR
House & Garden
-
12
55
Francis Henry WARING
John MOORE
House & Garden
1
8
The first photo shows Frank Turner, Vivian Hallett and Alf Hallett during the War and the other has a group outside the Star Inn with Frank Bailey . its Landlord with a pipe and bow tie.
A view of Dampiers in the 1950s with its windows piled high with Cansof food. The Star Inn`s sign can be seen at the entrance of the passageway between it and Little Lodge.
The Star Inn when its name was changed briefly to The Drum and Monkey

In 1816 William Stephens, an Inn Holder is referred to as purchasing a Coach House from Stephen Atkinson which bordered Ann Kitts house on the west and north sides. By 1822 he had also purchased her former property for £425 and let it to Charles Cookney, Linen Draper. But by 1834 he had sold both properties and had moved to Exeter, and they were owned by George Biddlecombe. William Stephens may well have opened the original Star Inn, which by 1841 was owned by Edward Smith who was there until 1871, by which time he was 81 years of age. 
An interesting building at the rear bordering a passageway between Yandovers and the Manor House appears on the 1841 Tithe Map that is later known as “Star Cottage”. It was then owned by Francis Waring and rented by John Moore, aged 55, a gardener and his family. He was succeeded by John Stamp, who was coachman to Captain Bullen, who lived in the lower part of the Manor House and whose stables were at its rear.
In conclusion it would seem that this important site in Charmouth has been its commercial centre. Initially for Sail Making, then at the beginning of the 19 th century with its Public House, General Store, Post Office and Drapers. Today we can experience some of this past when we step in Charmouth Stores and its neighbour Breeze with a history nearing 2 centuries. If you go up the lane by the side of the Stores you come to "The Star Inn". I have no records of its history, but in 1954 when the path outside was relaid a token was dug up with the following inscriptions- The R. Hon W. Pitt Lord Warden Cinque Ports"* And on the reverse side "Cinque Ports Token payable at Dover-1794" on the rim "Horns Library". It may have been dropped at any time and also it may indicate that there was an inn here frequented by seamen in the eighteenth century. Follow the path for a few paces in a westward direction and then turn sharp right and it will take you along a pathway between two walls to an entrance of a large garden and cottage - now occupied by William Elliott - postman, like his father.