Wander Inn, The Street, Charmouth
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
 
From the available records it would seem that the Wander Inn which was demolished in the 1990s and rebuilt as two semi detached properties was formerley known as The New Inn and previoulsy "The Rose and Crown". The original deeds to The Rose and Crown going back to the 16th Century can still be seen at The Somerset Record Office and detail the various owners and tenants. When "The New Inn" was bought by Rev. John Dixon Hales in 1837 from William Burnard there is a reference to it being built by Emmanuel Symes and occupied by John Hodder. By then it was split into two seperate parts rented by Frank Coles and Martha Gordge. This property was left by Rev. J.D. Hales to his 2 sons John and Arthur. Rev. J.D. Hales died in 1879. Arthur Hales died in 1904 and left his share to his wife Maria Frances Hales.
The cake shop, as it is now, was formerly "The New Inn" owned in 1771 by Benedicta Durston, - built by Emanuel Symes and occupied by John Hodder. In 1843 it was assigned to the Rev.J.D. Hales for the residue of 2000 years granted by Indenture of lease dated 20th Oct. 1656. between John Bragge and Ann his wife and John Sampson. Later it consisted, of two thatched cottages, occupied by Frank Coles and Martha Gordge. Coles' cottage was called "Swiss Cottage" and afterwards was occupied by Harry Pidgeon until 1934 when he moved to Nutcombe Terrace. Baldwin (Gardener at 'Bow House" until the death of Mrs. Angus) and his daughter Dora lived here after this. Martha Gordge was a laundress and later she moved to the Alms House in Sea Lane- when her cottage was bought by W.A. Gear. During the 1939-45 war it was a Waste paper depot and used occasionally by the Home Guard. It was in very bad condition. After the war it was restored when remains of broken bottles and glass were found, no doubt relating to the days when it was an Inn. Mr. & Mrs. Potter were the next owners who transforniod it into a cafe, calling it "The Wander Inn", which was so successful that they added Swiss Cottage.
Emmanuel Symes referred to in the Will of John Limbry of 1603. John Hodder in Protestation List of 1641. In 1649 Francis Hodder of Wootton Fitzpaine marries Judith Miller the younger. In 1663 Hearth Tax Judith Miller has 2 hearths. In 1841 owned by William Burnard, A sailcloth Maker with bhis factory nearby by The Bridge In 1756 Thomas married Mary Newberry. .In 1781Thomas Edwards (1730-1795) paying 5/8d Land Tax on property. In 1796 he buys property from trustees of Thomas Edwards who is paying 7/7d Land Tax..In 1799 he married Rebecca Good of Havant.In 1813 William Burnard is paying 7/7d Land Tax on houses referred to as "Edwards" and 3/6d on "Thorns". He died in 1844.In 1843 bought by the Rector at the time, Rev.. John Dixon Hales when it consisted of two cotages occupied by F. Coles and Martha Gordge.

An Indenture dated 19th January 1843 between William Burnard of the one part and John Dixon Hales on the other part whereby that messuage or dwelling house situated in Charmouth aforesaid afterwards known as the New Inn and which premises then consisted of two cottages and the gardens there to belonging and then in the occupation of Frederick Coles and Martha Goodge respectively was assigned to said J.D. Hales for the residue of a term of 2,000 years granted by Indenture of lease dated 20th October 1656 between John Bragge and Ann his wife of the one part and John Sampson of the other part and by the same Indenture a stable for many years past converted into a stable and Carpenters shop situated  in Mill Lane otherwise Seaside Lane, Charmouth aforesaid and which was then in occupation of Harry William Pryer was assigned to said John Dixon Hales for the residue of term of 1,000 years granted by Indenture of lease dated 13th November 1771 between Benedicta Dirtson of the one part and Thomas Richard of the other part subject to the yearly rent of 6d thereby reserved. 
An Indenture dated 25th December 1853 between the said William Burnard of the one part and said John Hales of the other part whereby All that one acre of meadow ground formerly known as The Common but then as Minsons  Common situated in Mill Lane , Charmouth aforesaid and then in the occupation of said Frederick Coles was assigned to said J.D.Hales for the residue of a term of 2,000 years granted by Indenture of Lease dated 1st September 1769 between Robert Manson of the one part and Joseph Durston of the other part. 
All those two plots or parcels of land containing together 1a 3r 0p situated in Charmouth and adjoins Main Street - 30 January 1837 
Carpenters workshop 19th January 1843

.1783 Freehold & Long Leaseholds, Thomas Edwards House & Orchard (£3-0-0d) 0a 2p 28r
3) Plot B on both sides of Main Street.plot on corner of Sea Lane was Braggs Stores (1947) formerly H.E. Pryers workshop and yard had been a carpenters shop for many years. It was owned by Benedicta Durston in 1771 and let to Thomas Rickard at yearly tent of 6d. Occupied in 1843 by F. Coles. Plot C was bought from William Burnard. Cottages and buildings upon land where once stood the New Inn, which was built by Emmanuel Symes and occupied by John Hodder. It consisted of two cottages  and occupied by F. Coles and Martha Gordge. Also in 1843 Minsons Common was purchased from William Burnard. Described in deeds as being in Mill Lane or otherwise Seaside Lane. It was formerly called The Common and was sold to Joseph Durston in 1769 by Robert Minsons.
This property was left by Rev. J.D. Hales to his 2 sons John and Arthur. Rev. J.D. Hales died in 1879.
Arthur Hales died in 1904 and left his share to his wife Maria Frances Hales.
Abstract of the Title Deeds of Primrose Cottage
The Will 1861 of John Dixon Hales of Charmouth Lodge - Charmouth. After reciting Indenture dated 19th January 1843 between William Burnard and J.D. Hales whereby all that Messuage or dwelling house situated in Charmouth afterwards known as the New Inn and which premises thre consisted of two cottages and gardens therein the occupation of F.Coles and Martha Gordge was assigned to J. D.Hales for the residue of 2000 years granted by Indenture of lease 20th October 1656 between John Bragge and Ann his wife and John Sampson and by the same indenture a stable for many years past converted into a stable or carpenters shop
 
Frank Coles and his son at bottom of the Street passing The Wander Inn
THe Wander Inn can be seen here in the centre next to Sunny Side in 1900.
THe Wander Inn in 1921 covered with Ivy
 
 
 
Back in the 1950s the village boasted two garages opposite each other where you could get petrol. Now you would have to drive to Bridport to find one. On the left of the photo can be seen The Wander Inn Café with its board outside advertising Walls Ice Cream.
The Wander Inn Cafe offering Cornish Cream for 2/3d. Note the two garages opposite each other.
 
 
The Wander Inn which formerly the New Inn was very ancient. After the War, James and Dorothy Potter renamed it the Wander Inn. They created a Cafe in what was The Swiss Cottage that was so successful that they extended it into the rest of the building, this became the Wander Inn. The last resident in the property was David Hoffler and his father. In 2003 it crashed to the ground and a new building erected on the site.
 
 
 
 
 
1891 Harry W. Pryer is leiving with his wife, Leah in Swiss Cottage.
no. Occupier Owner Description Name or Situation
41 Harry William Pryer Harry William Pryer House and Garden Charmouth Street
51 Annie Roddy Harry William Pryer House and Garden North Street 1 Pryers View
52 Dixon Harry William Pryer House and Garden North Street 2 Pryer View
53   Harry William Pryer House, Garden and Stables Charmouth Street
55 Harry William Pryer Hales Trustees Garden Charmouth Street
100 Harry William Pryer Hales Trustees House and Garden Sea View Lower Sea Lane
101b Harry William Pryer Jnr. Hales Trustees    
164 William Lock Harry William Pryer House and Garden Old Lyme Road
165 Robert Cox Harry William Pryer House and Garden Old Lyme Road
166   Harry William Pryer House and Garden Old Lyme Road
Property Harry Pryer owned or rented in 1895
Rev. Hales Thomas Gordge House & Garden   2  
Rev. Hales Joseph Hodges Common   4
1847 land Tax