Tithe Number 487, Nowhere Lane
Nowhere Lane in 1837 & 1841
The coloured plan pre-dates the later Tithe Map and is more detailed in that it shows specific houses in pink within the later tithe number.
Nowhere Lane in 1885 and Today
house on plot tithe no. 487 (964) could be 1/2d of the 3s. of Poor Rate belonging
to the Kendall's in 1702 as it seems likely they were all late 17th century houses,
that 3d.taken over by Zachariah Shrapnell II (nephew of Zachariah Shrapnell. Died
1723) from Widow Kendall in the 1740`s.|
We know very few people lived in the same house from 1841 to 1881, but the part time chapel caretaker Thomas Steven's a Cloth worker occupied 1003. no. 68 in 1891 in St. Margaret's or Morgan's Hill for that 40 year + period.
|Plan of property originally forming the tithe nos. 485 & 486 which was sold in 1959 by Leonard Hill, Solicitor for £25 to Miss Elizabeth Hignell.The green area (485) is shown as still having the reaminder of the 1,000 year lease given by Zachariah Shrapnell c.1690. The red area (486) was until 1870 paying ground rent to the Trustees of the Manor of Monkton Farleigh.|
abstract from Zachariah Shrapnell's III `s Will 1794:|
In St Margaret's Street, Morgan's Hill and Nowhere Lane in Bradford aforesaid and now in the Occupation of Renting of the widow Baily, Issac Gibbs, Thomas Brown, Dr. Browne (Apothecary) James Mead, William Gerrish, Thomas Paul, John Holbrook, Widow Dicks(?)
Deeds relating to properties in Morgans Hill, Nowhere Lane and St. Margaret's Street adjoining the Particular Baptist Chapel, Bradford-on-Avon, formerly part of the Bishoprick estates of the Manor of Monkton Farleigh and Cumberwell
....All that piece or parcel of void ground being the site of 3 messuages formerly in the occupation of Thomas Brown, widow Baily and Hannah Gibbs and afterwards of William Holbrook and William Hanny (noe Bindings). But now untenanted the tenements formerly standing thereon having sometime fallen down and also that messuage in St. Margarets Street formerly occupied by Ebenezer Brown Apothecary, now by Joseph Mundy (now Saxty`s) and also that messuage in No Wheres Lane formerly occupied by Thomas Crook (t/no.485/6)and also that messuage in Morgans Hill formerly in occupation of William Gerrish afterwards and of late by Jane Abrahams and that messuage in Morgans Hill in occupation of Thomas Paul afterwards of James Mead and now Nathaniel (?) Mead and also those 3 messuages adjoining each other on Morgan`s Hill formerly in occupation of Jane Sara Orchard, John Holbrook and Widow Dicks (?) and now of John Gibbs, Jane Green and Joanna Piles and all houses, outhouses Zacahriah Shrapnel Warren said John Lutin as tenant.
|The Wiltshire Record Office has a copy of James Mead`s Will for 1814 he leaves all his household goods and £25 to his wife Catherine .The remainder of his estate was to go to his children Elizabeth, Mahala, Mahalalell, Krima, Lamich and Noah.Joseph Bulgin and Charles Cadby were witnesses.|
Indenture made the 14thNovember 1823 between Zachariah Shrapnell Warren
of Oakham in the County of Rutland Clerk
Gentleman of the second part and
John Lukin of Grays Inn Square that piece or parcel of void ground being the ..
three messuages or tenements and gardens formerly in the occupation of Thomas
Brown, Widow Baily and Isaac Gibbs and afterwards of William Holbrook and William
Hanny (now Bindings). But now untenanted the tenements formerly standing thereon
that having sometime fallen down.|
and also all that messuage or tenement yard garden and appurtenants in said Saint Margaret's Street aforesaid formerly occupied by Ebenezer Brown, Apothecary and now by Joseph Mundy (Saxty`s)
and also that Messuage or tenement situate in Nowhere Lane aforesaid formerly occupied by James Mead and now or late by Malachi Mead.
and also all that Messuage or Tenement in Morgan's Hill aforesaid formerly in the occupation of William Gerrish .. afterwards and late of same by Jane Abrahams ..
also all that messuage .. aforesaid formerly in the occupation of Thomas Paul afterwards of James Mead and now of mall..
and all those 3 messuages or tenements near adjoining each other on Morgans Hill aforesaid formerly in the occupation of Jane Sarah Orchard, John Holbrook and Widow Dicks and now of John Gibbs, James Green and Joanna Piles.
An Indenture dated 14th February
1824 refers to a document dated 14th November 1823 with Zachjariah Shrapnell Warren
and his wife Maria for the 1st part, John Bush for the second part and John Lukin
for the 3rd part. Isaac Green , a Slubber, purchases the house and the garden
behind,situated in Nowhere Lane for £50 from the Warrens. It was formerly
in the occupation of James Mead (died 1814), afterwards of Thomas Crook sure of
John Mead as tenant, now untenanted.|
|in 1864 - 486/487 are occupied by Hedges(Candle Factory) owned by John Smith,who also owns tithe numbers 483 & 484|
|In 1860 ,Thomas Bush Saunders of Lincolns Inn and Leah Green, Widow and Eliza Green of 36 Thomas Street, Walcott, Bath sell the property to George Smith Brazier of Bradford.|
|Insurance Policy in 1877 for t/no. 486/7 then owned by George Smith of Bridge End, Bradford, Gas Fitter. Buildings are described as aHouse used as a Stable and Brake House(?) at present void.|
|In 1891 George Smith sells the property to the Solicitor Alfred Beaven, who lives in the building where Saxty`s is today.It is describes as all that messuage converted to a Store House.|
Spencer Beaven, Widow, dies in 1935 and leaves her considerable Estate to
her 3 Daughters Elizabeth Sarah Beaven, Agnes Beaven and Charlotte Beaven.
She Leaves her dwelling House 14 (formerly Number 17) St. Margarets Street with
a Coal Shed and store situate at the rear of in Nowhere Lane and also the following:|
1. ALL THAT building then used as a Garage (formerly two messuages or drelling houses) situate at Morgans Hill Bradford-on-Avon afsd at the junction of the lane called Nowhere Lane with the road called Saint Margaret's Hill (formerly Morgans Hill) Bradford-on-Avon afsd late in the occupation c the Testatrix and then of the sd Elizabeth Sarah Beaven and Agnes Beaven Which sd building was part of the premises numbered 484 on the Tithe Commutation Map for the said Parish of Bradford and in the Book of Reference thereto described as three tenements containing 6 perches. Zachriah Shrapnell granted a 1,000 year lease on 6th May 1697 for £1.0.0. a year rent
2. ALL THAT piece of garden land (formerly the site of 6 cottages known as 8 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15 Saint Margarets Hill) situate in Nowhere Lane Bradford-on-Avon afsd adjoining the premises therin above described on the North side late in the occupation of the Testatrix and then of the sd E.S. Beaven end A. Beaven which said premises were nos. 485 on the sd Tithe Commutation Map. This group of properties still had the remainder of a 1,000 year lease
5. ALL THAT piece of garden land (formerly the site of a small tenement - 486?) situate in Nowhere Lane.This group of properties still had the remainder of a 1,000 year lease.
In 1955 Leonard Hill pays £1,825 for no. 14 St. Margarets Street (t.no.451) and the passage way, garden and building in the corner of the grounds. It also includes Nowhere Lane, the building (t.no. 484) then used as a Garage and the strip of ground where there were formerly 7 houses(t.no. 485, 486 & 487) but by then vacant.The Map below shows the area of ground involved, Four years later Miss Elizabeth Hignell buys the piece at the bottom (t.no. 486/7) for access to her garden at the rear of 7 St. Margarets Street. Finally in 1966 The Council purchases part of this plot (t.no.486) from her.
are part of the
deeds for 16 St. Margarets Street and may have formerly belonged to Priory of
Monkton Farleigh.Charlotte Beaven prchases these |
on the 28th January 1959 Miss Hignell purchases two pieces of land at Nowhere lane from L.P.T. Hill of 14 St. Margarets Street for £25
On the 13th December 1966 Miss Elizabeth Hignell conveyed to the Council the piece of land coloured pink