|the Grand Pump Room Hotel by Wilson & Willcox, described by Pevsner in 1958 as ‘large with Frenchy pavilion roofs ... an intrusion of 1870. Demolished in 1959, it was replaced by Arlington House, 1959-61, a bland colonnaded Baldwin-style building,contextually related to the architecture of Bath Street, by K. Wakeford,Jerram & Harris.
Stall Street in Bath, Somerset, England was built by John Palmer between the 1790s and the first decade of the 19th century. The buildings which form an architectural group have listed building status and are now occupied by shops and offices.
The street includes the side of the Grand Pump Room and the attached north and south colonnades.
Number 3 Stall Street has the north colonnade attached and is on the corner of Abbey Church Yard and continuous with those The fountain which stood opposite them has now been moved to Terrace Walk opposite Parade Gardens.
Numbers 5 to 11 were built between 1805 and 1810. Numbers 5 and 6 balance numbers 10 and 11 with giant pilasters which rise up to the second floor.
Numbers 27 to 29 were built around 1820 and form a corner block with buildings in Beau Street. number 29 has a shop front dating from around 1900 with the others being more recent.
Numbers 35 and 36 are on the corner of Bath Street and are consistent with those buildings including the ionic columns and have been designated as Grade listed buildings.
Number 37, which forms part of Arlington House, is also Grade 1 listed buildings.
No.9 Stall Street is the continuation of a once balanced terrace from York Street to Abbeygate Street, the bays of which were deployed two:seven:three:seven:two: the northern eleven most bays of which survive. The design for this is now difficult to appreciate due to alterations, and the redevelopment of Nos 12-15 at the south end. The widening of Stall Street was approved as a part of the Bath Improvement Act of 1789, with designs by Thomas Baldwin; and John Palmer, the City Architect is recorded in the Council Minutes (20th March 1797) as preparing plans for setting back the frontages in Stall Street, but the design for the present row, dated 1805 but unsigned, survives in the Bath Reference Library. York Street was formed in 1806, which also corresponds with the building of this terrace. Part of the Neoclassical remodelling of the City centre, but occupying a site with a much longer building history.
No.3 is a part of Baldwin's scheme for the complete replanning of this area of the City following the Bath Improvement Act of 1789, and as such forms part of this highly important Neoclassical remodelling of the city centre. It forms a group with Nos.6-14 Abbey Churchyard. This shop was for many years a tobacconist. SOURCES: Jane Root, 'Thomas Baldwin: his public career in Bath 1775-1793', Bath History vol. 5 (1994), 80-103).
tood until 1957 St James’s church, rebuilt by Jelly & Palmer 1768-9, altered and with a new Italianate tower by Manners & Gill, 1848 (gutted in air raids 1942). Behind, St James Street South had several pre-Wood listed houses. These were demolished to make way for the Marks & Spencer building, 1961 (additional storey, 1970) by Monro & Partners and the (former) Woolworth Block by W. B. Brown,1961, both fronting on to the E side of Stall Street.