The New Inn (Commercial)
Scroll down to find out more about the property.
Click on images or Charmouth Home to return back.
The New Inn c.1900
"The New Inn" today now divided into 3 houses

The New Inn was situated at the top of the Street and continued trading until recent times, though is now subdivided into separate properties. The section which is now known as Charleston House is clearly shown on the 1841 Tithe map for Charmouth as belonging to Joseph Hodges. The Census for the same year describes him as a 55 year old Coal dealer living with his wife Mary, who no doubt helped run their Beer House. By 1861 she is a widow aged 73. The business then continues with a relative Henry Wild, who is the son of John Wild who was the landlord of the Royal Oak from 1867. But in 1883 there is a fire in the Thatched Roof, which destroys the Inn, and it is not until 3 years later that the building we see today was completed. Henry Wild continues as the landlord and the 1911 Census shows him aged 62. Eventually he is in partnership with Hambridge from 1921. The New Inn, or New Commercial Inn, as it was called, (The New Inn in 1771 being at the bottom of The Street opposite the field where Gear` s Garage stood) was burnt down in about 1885, The first photo was taken after the funeral of James Hodges, Jimmy Hodges and Brandham Hann are standing on the pavement. Hann was a mason and worked with Ernest Gollop.The Lessee of the New Commercial Inn for many years was Harry Wild, whose sister Susan married Jimmy Hodges, Jimmy lived in the cottage opposite. When he left the cottage remained empty and was finally pulled down, The only incident to record occurred before the fire. William Gorge, son of Job, was born in Nov 1859. He joined the Navy and often overstayed his leave. On one of these occasions the local policeman followed him into the Inn to arrest him. Bill was a very strong man and asked the policeman if he came in by the door. Pointing to the window, Bill said that that was the way he would go out and there upon took him in his arms and threw him through the window, (This is a local story related very many years after the event:, it is probably true as Bill was a well-known man in his day and was extremely strong,)

The former picture has this marvellous companion showing more of the New Inn with its regulars posing for the camera outside its ivy clad front. The young chap on the left is standing by an advert for Stones Axe Vale Cider on the junction of Old Lyme Road.
The New Commercial Inn at the top of the Street can be seen in the background covered with Ivy. Harry Wild, aged 62 was the landlord and is standing in the doorway on the right.
The Procession stops at the junction of Old Lyme Road and The Street with ivy clad The New Inn on the right. Andrew Dunn who had been a sailor on a number of ships from 1881, is holding the Flag.The chap with the long beard is John Hodder who appears in many of the photographs. At that time, you could still use the coastal road to Lyme Regis. But after a Landslip in 1926 it was closed for evermore.

William Hambidge, Landlord of the New Commercial Inn in 1923 stands proudly in the doorway with his family and pet dog standing to attention.
A view looking down the Street towards Charmouth House with The New Inn on the left. The open top model T Ford may well have been the one used by Claud Hider on his photographic expeditions.
Western Gazette 13 January 1888