In the heart of the central Conservation Area of this picturesque Wiltshire town with Saxon origins, close to its fine
old bridge and riverside walk, central shops and other amenities. Local pubs and restaurants, the Kennet & Avon
Canal, swimming pool and historic Tithe Barn are all within easy reach. Bristol Lulsgate and the London Airports
are accessible via M4 (117,7 miles) and First Great Western Services via Wales and West link from Bradford on
A von station, which also has direct services to London Waterloo and the south coast. Regular bus services to Bath,
Warminster and Salisbury.
Listed Grade II as being of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, the property was formerly two cottages dating
from the 17th Century and has a street frontage of approximately 12 metres and a plot depth of approximately 42
metres. The L-shaped garden rises significantly above the rear courtyard and extends behind 8 St Margarets Street.
Rear vehicular access is enjoyed from St Margarets Hill via double rear garden gates. There are two stone built
sheds. The accommodation extends to three floors.
The building (previously 6 and 7) is Listed as of Special Architectural and Historic Interest Grade II and described as
Now one house. C17. Painted stone, stone tiled roof. Three gables. Two storeys plus attics in gables. Attic
windows two-light stone mullioned casements. First floor has two three-light and two two-light and one single-light
casement with stone mullions and continuous weathered string over. Weathered string at first floor level. Ground
floor has two "Gothick" porches close together in the centre of the frontage with a fixed light between. On each side
of the porches is a pair of fixed-light windows with glazing bars. Pointed archway with dripmould over, flanked by
rusticated piers to left of front.
Strict policies relate to its Listed Building status and to the Conservation Area, but from informal discussions with
the Planning Officer it seems that in addition to its residential use there is potential for provision of an ancillary
studio/workshop/granny annexe converted from the existing garden structures and provision of on-site parking.
Commercial/office use of the whole building may be considered, and indeed several other period properties in the
town successfully trade as antique shops. Finally, a stt1all shop with separate access and retained residential use for
the remainder is a further possibility.
This building is an important component of the street scene in a prominent location in the Conservation Area.
Subject to the retention of its Architectural and Historic Interest, the District Council would seek to be flexible in
encouraging full use of the property. Any alterations/extensions would have to be sufficiently high quality to
enhance the property and internal historic features will need to be retained. Replacement of railings to the front
would be encouraged.
It must be emphasised that the above remarks are for guidance purposes only and any change ofuse or alterations to
the property will require both full planning permission and Listed Building Consent.
Accommation Measurements are approximate only:-
The property has a wealth of exposed timbers, some interesting period fireplaces, staircases, cupboards, doors,
cornices and two part stained glass windows, but the accommodation requires repair and up-dating. All
measurements are approximate only -
Two front doors, and small ENTRANCE LOBBIES with side windows lead into the
CENTRAL RECEPTION HALL 15' x 14'9 (4.57mx4.49m)-tiledfireplace, three recessed cupboards one with
upper glazed doors. Staircase to upper ground floor and upper floors.RIGHT HAND ROOM 15'9 x 11'6 (4.80m x 3.50m) original plasterwork fireplace. Pair of recessed shelved
cupboards with upper glazed doors. Slatted window seat. Secondary staircase to upper floors.
LEFT HAND ROOM 12' x 11' 3.65mx 3.35m) -fireplace (panelled in). Pair of similar cupboards, and similar
HALF LANDING -passageway with larder and door to courtyard and garden.
BATHROOM 10' x 10' (3.04mx 3.04m) with bath, handbasin andwc.
KITCHEN 16'3 x 10' (4.95m x 3.04m) average- sink, teak double drainer, old solid fuel boiler, cupboard and
interesting floor level serving hatch to right hand reception room
REAR ENTRANCE leading to two coal stores, door to courtyard and garden and to
BATHROOM- fitted bath and wc.
FIRST FLOOR Approached by fme original oak staircase.
RIGHT HAND BEDROOM 16'6 x 12'9 (5.02mx3.88m) maximum, including lobby-windowseat, secondary
staircase. Door and a few steps up to
REAR BEDROOM 24' x 10'6 (7.31mx 3.20m) -two sloping ceilings, shelving, airing cupboard with hot water
cylinder and immersion heater. Staircase down to kitchen.
CENTRAL BEDROOM 9' x 7'9 (2.74m x 2.36m) -window seat.
LEFT HAND BEDROOM 17' x 16'3 (5.18mx 4.95m) -cast iron fIreplace, stone surround, two window seats.
TOP FLOOR Approached by main original staircase.
L-SHAPED ATTIC ROOM 26' (7.92m) x 15' ( 4.57m) maximum and 10' (3.04m) minimum -sloping ceilings,
exposed roof timbers, secondary staircase.
L-SHAPED ATTIC ROOM 16'3 (4.95m) maximum x 15' (4.57m), reducing at entrance to 4' (1 '21m).
The Garden is in need of cultivation. There are stone paths, four mature apple trees, one pear,
prolific blackberry and gooseberries, holly and spruce tree.
Single storey ashlar DETACHED STONE SHED with two windows, central doors and flat felt roof.
Adjoining and attached older LEAN-TO SHED with pitched pantiled roof. Stone former PRIVY. Vehicular
access via double gates.
Freehold as to the entirety of the buildings and garden structures.
Leasehold, as to a small rectangle at the south-west comer of the garden for 1000 years from a date believed to be
1697. This leasehold land backs onto a vehicular accessway leading to St Margarets Hill over which there is a right
ofway (granted by the Council in the Deed of Exchange dated 14 December 1966).
Small area of garden is Freehold by a Possessory Title.
Vacant Possession upon Completion of the purchase.
Mains services connected. Telephone subject to BT transfer regulations.
Council Tax Band E. £1121.55 payable 2001/2002.