Restaurant, 9-10 St. Margarets Street
the Yard, Tallow Chandler's Shop, and Outhouses at the rear thereof, situate in
St. Margaret Street, Bradford, aforesaid, occupied by MR. THOMAS SMART,
Grocer and Tallow Chandler, and MR. CHARLES LONG, Builder. The house
occupied by Mr. Smart comprises a Front Shop, large Sitting Room, Wash-house and
Scullery, with 3 front and 1 back Bedrooms, and there is a Tallow Chandler's Boiling
House, and Candle or Store Room in the Yard at the rear; and the House occupied
by Mr. C. Long contains a Front Sitting Room, large Kitchen, and 4 Bedrooms over.
is a capital Pump and Well of Water on the premises, and a back entrance and right
of way, from No-where Lane.
number of large concerns were set up either side of the Walcot Turnpike or London
Road in Bath. Warren & Clark had established a brewery here in 1780
with the principal design of producing porter, but they also made use of the"
river water in its purity" to make ale and table beer. Charles Harcourt Masters
"map of 1794" shows the extensive "porter brewery" at Lower
Hayes opposite Piccadilly. Bath Chronicle 4th March 1790.|
(died 1789) is shown as the owner of the French Horn with Richard Sheppard as
his tenant. It is this Richard Shepard who is living in the house (tithe No.488)
at the bottom of Nowhere Lane.
Restaurant: Samuel Provis probably from Warminster owned it when it was the French
The houses formerly Bryant's Hardware Shop were identified in 1808 as
being the French Horn Inn owned by the Provis family (of Warminster). John Provis
was shown as the owner in 1808, and Joseph Provis the tenant with a small part
of it lived in by John Bull. Joseph Provis was also renting the cellar under no
8., probably as a narrow alleyway between the two buildings, now part of the entrance
to the shop called Bindings. One would assume that the house formerly Bryant's
did not have a cellar or if it did it was too small for the purpose of storing
John Long (Late James Long) is shown paying 2-3d rates on the property.James Long
was a Coal Dealer, and he died in 1836. Charles Long was the Executor for his
father, but he became bankrupt and eventually that property was sold to William
Long, Mason. He was a member from 1826 of the Independent Chapel (now United Church).
William Long erected the first School room at the Chapel in 1835 and it was enlarged
to its existing size in 1850. He had married Michal Derreett in 1820 at Westwood
and their eldest son, James eventually built the Town Hall in 1854 with another
1841 John Miles and his family are living at the property
and history from a Report by P.M.Slocombe for Wiltshire Buildings Record. in the
is on the side of a fairly steep small hill on the south side of the ancient ford
of the river Avon and is thought to have been developed since the Saxon period.
The plot, which faces slightly S of W (but taken as W in this report) therefore
rises to the rear and narrows. At the top it joins the end of a lane running S.E.
The house was first visited during the last few days of Mr Clive Bryant's
ownership. He ran an ironmonger's shop in the premises and there has been no domestic
accommodation there for some while. According to Mr Bryant the earliest main deed
dates from 1701 though there is another earlier deed which he could not read.
He believes the building was the Plume of Feathers Inn in the 18th century and
at a later stage four shops. An early photographer's studio at Bradford was on
the attic floor at the N. end of the rear range.
The site is probably plot
454 on the Bradford Tithe Map of 1841, house owned and occupied by Dinah Long.
It is not shown as double pile and has no rear wing. The OS 1 : 500 scale map
of 1887 shows the house as double pile with an open leanto at the rear, the N.
wing in existence and a separate building in the back garden.
once at the house was perhaps Frederick Shettle who operated from 5 Trowbridge
Road in 1898-9 and St Margaret Street in 1903 as the Fine Art Photo Co. After
him H. and G. Morse were definitely at 9 and 10 St Margaret Street in 1911 and
Walter G. Collins and Miss Agnes Collins were at 10 St Margaret Street in the
This is an old site in the town which may
have been redeveloped several times. The wall of 26"thickness at the rear
of the front rooms indicates that it may have been a single pile stone house
about 1600. At that time the main living room was the S room with its inglenook
fireplace and the N room was probably an unheated parlour.
took place in about 1700. The roof was probably raised and the gable dormers front
and back were accommodated by extended collar trusses. At some point later in
the 18th century the parallel rear range was added and the S front room was changed
from a kitchen to a parlour. The rear wall of this range has a thickness typical
of the 18th century. At this time there may have been doorways connecting the
house with the next house to the S.
Further alterations including the insertion
of the good quality staircase were made in the mid 19th century. A rear wing behind
in ashlar stone was added and a wash-house leanto and garden building. The S shop
window is of 19th century type.
The timber-framing visible in the rear attic
is interesting as so little framing survives in the town but it may be part of
the next door building.
June 4 1878 :for sale by Auction at the Swan Hotel June 23rd 2 Dwelling Houses,
occupied by Charles Long and the Midland Railway situate in St. Margarets Street.
in the Vale of Pewsey, The French Horn dates back to early 19th century when it
was built as a roadside house for the French prisoners of war who were digging
the final stretch of the Kennet and Avon Canal.|