Minion House, 9 Abbey Green, Bath
A view of Abbey Green in 1785 and the same view today. Minion House (no. 9) has a passage way on the ground floor at that time which went through to Stall Street.The building now known as the Crystal Palace public house, built by Thomas Baldwin c.1780 had an additional storey which was removed in 1933. The Plane Tree to be seen today was planted c.1790.
A History of Minion House (no. 9 Abbey Green)
Roman The site of a Roman Villa, a section of its decorative Mosaic floor was found in the cellar of the neighbouring Crystal Palace public house in 1984. There is also a Roman well under a bedroom in the adjoining Elton House.Apparently the Roman pavement which has been found beneath the Pub continues on under this house as well.
1174 the plot of ground is in the area of the Bishops Palace with its boundary wall on to Abbey Green.The site of the Crystal Palace is filled with the saxon St. James church with its cemetery to the north. In 1279 a replacement Church is built by the South gate and the former church`s Nave becomes the Bishop`s own chapel.Medieval deeds refer to the land east of Stall Street as the Bishop`s Court.
1543 Edward Colhurst buys the Priory site in 1543 and gives the Abbey and the monks Churchyard to the City in 1572
1600 Savil`s and Speed`s map whichare c.1600 depicts a building in the area of Mignon House which adjoins the Gateway into the Priory.
1612 The Colhurst family sell the property to John Hall of Bradford on Avon who then held the mortgage
1616 The adjoining site(now the Crystal Palace) was let to Thomas Cotterell, joiner, for development, and described as garden ground in the occupation of Robert Evans.By 1632 it was let to William Chapman, Mercer
1631 Thomas Hall is the Landlord
1663 John Hall II is the Landlord
1698 Abbey Green is reduced in size when 3 substantial properties are built against the eastern wall ( Mrs East`s House, Abbey Green on Gilmour`s Map)
c.1700 The Three Tuns secures rights of way to Abbey Green through Mignion House which can be seen on the 1785 drawing
1711 Rachel Bayntun inherits Estate, and she later becomes the Countess of Kingston, her husband died 1713
1722 Her son Evelyn succeeded to the Bath Estate and in 1726 becomes the Duke of Kingston on the death of his grandfather.
pre 1719 Widow Player leasing property from Duke of Kingston
1719 John Wiltshire renewed the lease for a "ruinous Messuage" formerly in the tenure of the Widow Player
1734 Elizabeth Scott, Widow leases property from Duke of Kingston
1742 Duke of Kingston to Elizabeth Scott rent 5 a year. There is a perpetual rent of 5 for ever more on the property. Most of the properties bordering Abbey Green seem to have been purchased between 1742 -5 from the Duke.
  Elizabeth Scotts Will
1773 The Duke of Kingston dies at Bath in this year
1774 Mr Brabant - first mention in Rents, previously Scotts
1799 Mr. Brabant
1800 Samuel Davis - Hairdresser
1812 Johnson - Carpenter
1815 Thomas Coubold
1819 Parker - Ivory and hard wood turner
1825 George Bonham (his goods were seized and sold for rent), no.10 Richard Crutwell, the printer of the Bath Chronicle on the site of the Crystal Palace
1833 Henry Skeate, a currier ( a craftsman that curries leather for use)
1833 Edward Cole
1845 Charles Morgan, working jeweller
1858 Mrs. E. Blackmore - Nurse, John Waite - Working Jeweller, Mrs. Waite - Artist in Hair
1864 Thomas Curtis - Tailor, George Bryne - Carpenter.
1876 Thomas Curtis - Tailor, Edmund Ashby - Painter.
1884 Ann Honora Harriette Bonham, Robert Bridges Bellars,and Sophia, his wife,Roland Louis Agassiz and Mary Louisa, his wife, John Frederick Harman Brown, Frederick Lennox Harman Brown sell to Ernest Wallace Rooke
1885 Ernest Wallace Rooke(of 37 Gay Street, Bath) sells to William Andrew Curtis (Tailor) for 230,
1904 Charles Chapman of Teddington mortgage to William Andrew Curtis (Tailor)
1921 Charles Chapman reconveyance of mortgage to William Andrew Curtis
1934 Probate of Will of William Andrew Curtis(Grocer and General Trader) leaves business to daughter-Violet
1937 William`s wife Annie Jane Curtis dies in 1937
1948 Charles & Vincent St. Clare Curtis(sons of William Andrew) to Miss Beatrice Blanche (Violet) Curtis for 600
1968 Probate of Will of Miss Beatrice Blanche (Violet) Curtis
1968 John Sparrow, Solicitor, Executor to Winston Phineas Moses and Irene Grace Ruth Moses for 4200
1968 change of use of the ground floor from residential use to a picture gallery. ( 8522 - approved)
1968 alterations to shop front . (detailed drawings approved 1.10.68 8522-1)
1979 Guy Anthony Marsh and Ronald Earnest Marsh buy Mignon House, 9 Abbey Green for 60,000
1979 Change of use from a picture gallery and residential accomodation to a jewellers shop (8522-2 - refused)
1979 Change of use of ground floor to a jeweller`s shop with ancillary workshop in basement r (revised - 8522-3 )
1988 Ronald Marsh dies
2004 R.E.Tricker (holdings) Ltd rent shop
2006 Paul & Neil Mattingly buy premises
A Plan of Roman Bath, based on excavations. In 1964 there was a major excavation on the north side of Abbeygate Street where a substantial masonry House from the third century A.D. was found. A fine mosaic was uncovered by the proprieter of the Crystal Palace public house in 1982. This was only a fragment of a late second century pavement, and the rest may well be in the cellar of the adjoining number 9 Abbey Green. In 1814 there was an early reference to a mosaic in the court yard at the rear of the "Crystal Palace"and there is also a Roman Well in the cellar of the neighbouring Elton House.
Bath in 1174
A Model in the Abbey Heritage Centre showing the Area around Abbey Green as it would have looked in 1300. The Bishops Palace can be seen almost touching the rear of Minion House (9 Abbey Green). Whilst the adjoining Crystal Palace stands on the site of the Saxon St. James Church which in 1279 was replaced with a new church by the South Gate. The former church`s Nave becomes the Bishop`s own chapel.Medieval deeds refer to the land east of Stall Street as the Bishop`s Court. After the dissolution both buildings were used as quarries and the stone re-used in surrounding buildings.
The Abbeygate demolished in 1733 is shown as the main entrance to the precincts, only an iron hinge on a wall by Blacks shop remains of it, although a fragment of the ancient Abbey Wall can still be seen in little Orchard Street, behind Marks & Spencers.
 

A Bird`s Eye view of Bath c. 1600, engraved from a drawing by physician Henry Savile. This is an amazing map as it shows a bird`s eye view on the area and has only come to light in recent years. The Abbey Gate is clearly seen, and the wall along side it still exists in Little Orchard Street. There was obviously an earlier building on the site of Minion House (no. 9 Abbey Green) and what appears to be a path to a passage under the building which lead to a knotted garden at the rear. the adjoining garden is now the site of the Crystal Palace public house. A water conduit can be seen on the corner of the garden, this feature was obviously taken into account when rebuilkding as it still justs out.Abbey Green was more extensive then as the houses against the eastern wall were not to be built until 1698. Another interesting feature is the ditch running alomg Abbey Lane. This was the outflow for the waters from the King`s Bath which went on down to the river Avon. Visitors came into the court through the great gate of the priory, which survived until 1733. John Wood described a 'middle aperture' and a 'northern postern'. Picture a large gateway vaulted high enough for heavily-laden carts and a smaller one for pedestrians, like the surviving one at Cleeve Abbey. It was served by a lay porter, who had a lodge beside it. He would have peered through a grille to check your identity before he let you in.

 
Gilmore`s Map of Bath in 1692. It shows Abbey Green with the gateway at the bottom leading from Abbeygate Street. Minion House (no. 9 Abbey Green) would have had a gabled roof. Gilmor depicted the adjoining Building, Mr. Webbs Lodging, which was later rebuilt as the Crystal Palace.Abbey Gate Street is described as Leet Lane after the stream that ran down it to the river from the King`s Bath.
The Duke of Kingston
Mr Reynold`s Map of Bath made for the Duke of Kingston in 1725. This map is a later copy as the original was lost and is the first accurate depiction of the center. It shows the path that ran between Minion House and the neighbouring building (now the Crystal Palace) through to the stables and lodgings of the Three Tuns on Stall Street. Abbey Green has shrunk with the additional building on its east side.
 
 
 
 
 

Harcourt Masters Map of Abbey Green 1795. This shows that Minion House has lost the passage way through it. It is shown passing through the neighbouring building (now the Crystal Palace).

1803
G.P. Manners Map of Abbey Green 1816 shows the newly constructed Swallow Lane linking Abbeygate Street with York Street.
The drainage Map for Abbey Green
Ordnance Survey Map of Abbey Green Area 1885
Coad Insurance Plan of Abbey Green Area 1926
Aerial view of Abbey Green today
Abbey Gate Hanger from Gate way that was demolished in 1730. This can be seen by the modern gateway opposite the entrance to Marks and Spencers
Abbey Green by S. Luxton c.1910 showing a gentleman looking in the window of Minion House (no.9) when it was owned by Thomas Curtis, a tailor.
 
Abbey Green c. 1910 (paul de`ath collection)
 
Crystal Palace in 1900 with its third storey which was later removed.
 
 
1914
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Abbey Green c. 1960
A pen and watercolour wash by William Blackamore in 1785 showing the Crystal Palace with a passage way to the left through Mignion House (9 Abbey Green) which lead originally to the Three Tuns Inn in Stall Street. Signs of the passage still can be seen in the small window and an interior wall inside.
Abbey Green in 1920
 
Abbey Green in 1920
 
 
 
Trickers Shoe shop in 2006
Samuel & Nathaniel Buck`s View of Bath 1734 showing the area around Abbey.
Samuel & Nathaniel Buck`s View of Bath 1734 showing the area around the Abbey. The area encircled with the red line is Abbey Green. See Aerila photo above to compare.
Thomas Robins view of Bath in 1757 showing 33-The Grove, 34 - Mr Simsons Assembly Rooms, 38- Orchard Street Theatre, 40 - Abbey Green, 30 - St. Mary`s Church, now a School, 39 - Galloways Buildings.
An Engraving by Harvey Wood showing the old St. James Church in foreground and Abbey Green in the centre. The domed building on the extreme right is that of a school that stood there once.
Abbey Gate Street demolition
 
Map of Bath in 1300
Speeds Map of Bath c.1600. F marks Abbey Green with its gateway leading from Abbey Gate Street
Stukeley`s Map of Bath 1724
The Three Tuns Lodgings stood opposite the Baths
The Three Tuns can be seen in the centre of this engraving of 1672
 
Mr Webbs lodgings in Abbey Green is now replaced with the 18th century building known as the Crystal Palace public house.The Duke of Kingstons map below shows it projecting out on the west side of Abbey Green.
Map of Abbey Green Area - 1803, it shows clearly the passage way from the rear of Stall Street to Abbey Green through 9 Abbey Green, now just a small window shows where the 6 feet wide entrance was.
Roy Wain, the land lord of the Crystal Palace became a celebrity when he uncovered several skeletons and a Roman mosaic in the cellar in 1981. It was decided not to try to move the mosaic, but to preserve it underneath a layer of polythene and sand, where it remains today. A photograph above shows the fine detailing of this section of the floor.
 
 
 
 
 
1800 Samuel Davis - Hairdresser
1812 Johnson - Carpenter
1819 Parker - Ivory and hard wood turner
Mrs. Bailey 1828
 
The 1841 Census shows Charles Moragn living at 9 Abbey Green with his wife, Eliza and daughter Mary Ann and son Alfred.
Mr. Morgan in 1845
Abbey Green Directory 1858
1861 Census shows Thomas Curtis as a Taylor at 9 Abbey Green
Abbey Green Directory 1864
Abbey Green Directory 1876
1886 Indenture
Abbey Green Directory 1886
 
 
1934
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tupra, the jewellers in Abbey Green was once owned by sisters called Curtis who sold everything and anything from liquorice to paraffin. The interesting thing is that Bath chairs were also housed there at one time. They were lined up twelve in a row and hired out at sixpence a week. The big right hand window was once a door through which they could be trundled.
St.James`s Church
Bishops Palace
Three Tuns/Crystal Palace
Abbey Gate
Elton House
Duke of Kingston`s Estate
No. 8 Abbey Green
Plane Tree

The plan above shows clearly the passage way that went to the right of the entrance to 9 Abbey Green and is now a small window. It lead originally to the rear of the Three Tuns Inn on Stall Street. The building on the right is now the Crystal Palace.

Map c.1740 of Abbey Green area.

Abbey green lease 1742
Conveyance from his Grace the Duke of Kingston to Elizabeth Scott of a messuage or tenement & backside opening into the Abbey Green in the City of Bath under the yearly rent of £5-0-0
This Indre made the 25th day of December in the 16th year of the Reign of our sovereign Lord George the 2nd. By the Grace of God of Great Britain France & Ireland King defender of the faith and so forth in the year of our Lord 1742 Between the noble Evelyn, Duke of Kingston upon Hull of the one part & Elizabeth Scott of the Parish of Widcombe in the  County of Somerset, Widow of the other part Witnesseth that for in consideration of a good and perfect surrender already had and made by the said Elizabeth Scott of one Indre of lease bearing date 15th August 1684 made and granted by John Hall of Bradford on Avon in the county of Wilts, Esq. since deceased unto John Wiltshire of the city of Bath in the said County of Somerset, Carpenter since also deceased of the messuage or tenement her in after mentioned for the term of four score & 19 years Determinable on the several decrees of the said John Wiltshire, John Wiltshire his Son ( both since deceased ) & William Wiltshire his brother and in consideration also of a good and perfect surrender already also had made by the said Elizabeth Scott of one other Indre of lease bearing date of the 14th September, 1734 & made & granted by the said Duke of Kingston to John Chapman Scott & Robert Robins of the same messuage for the term of four score and 19years to commence from and immediately after the end expiration or other sooner determined of the said term of four scare and 19 years. Granted by the said John Hall as aforesaid. If Sarah Scott, the daughter of the said Robert Chapman Scott should so long live and in consideration also of the sum of £35 of good and lawful money of Great Britain to the said Duke of Kingston in hand at or before the ensue long and delivery of these presented well and truly paid by the said Elizabeth Scott the receipt whereof is herby acknowledged ...
All that ruinous messuage or tenement formerly a moiety of  a ruinous messuage or tenement formerly in the possession of William Player and now of the said Elizabeth Scott her under tenants or assigns and is bounded on the north west side by a piece of ground formerly belonging to Richard Westmacott and now of Francis Cornish and adjoins a messuage formerly in the possession of one Robert Webb and now of William Hull Esq. and John Harrington Esq. Under Tenants or assigns on the North East side and adjoins a messuage in the possession of Mary Crouch, Widow her undertenants or assigns being the other moiety of the said Messuage on the South West side the the Abbey Green on the South East part therefore situated and being in the City of Bath. ..Forever paying to the Duke of Kingston the yearly rent of £5.

Abbey Green in 1882
 
THe old St. James Church, where Marks and Spencders is now. On the left is Abbey Gate Street leading to a former school
St. James Church, where Marks and Spencders is now. On the left is Abbey Gate Street leading to a former school
 
Buildings which stood at the rear of Three Tuns Lodgings (Crystal Palace) where Swallow Lane is today.
Fact sheet on Crystal Palace site
 
Minion House in Abbey Green in Roman Times
Minion House in Abbey Green in 1200
Minion House in Abbey Green in 1706
Minion House in Abbey Green in 1770
Minion House in Abbey Green in 1830
Minion House in Abbey Green in 1959
Minion House in Abbey Green in 2005
The Talbot, later demolished on corner of Abbey Gate Street
The Three Tuns on the corner of Stall Street.
look at The English Spa, 1560-1815: A Social History By Phyllis May Hembry for background to Abbey Green
Marvellous Display of Flowers at Chrystal Palace and Marsh`s Jewellers.